GTA Aquarium Forums banner

why will assassin snails die off after a while? no more snails?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  alstare2000 
#1 ·
I thought they would eat other food besides other snails, but eventually, they are gone from the tank.

The other snails grow back.

At the mean time, look for assassin snails in Aurora, Richmond hill, or North York/ Scarborough area?

Thanks folks....whose assassin snails last over 1.5 years?

#2 ·
assassins

I had great luck with assassins over 100s in a ten gallon..
i kept picking up mts from local freshwater people. ...if u feed the tank
it should susstain them.i dont have a freshwater tank or id give u some.
pjs at Scarborough town center has them just call to confirm
also use to get my mts from there as well
cheers
tom

#6 ·
I have several anenthome helenas and never seen one dead. Over 2 years now and started with 4 and now have over 50. They do not die from lacking other snails, they also eat regular fish food, dead fishes/shrimps, another a. helena, etc. Is your water alcaline and hard enough? They might need some Ca and Mg

#8 ·
I spoke to soon. I wasn't home when I posted. Just got home, counted them and realized a few shells looked ratty. Pulled them out for a better look. 6 empty shells :(

Qiabble is a solid guy and even offered a few plants. Can someone set him up with a few snails or so ?

#9 ·
Assassins helped me bring couple of my tanks from massive pond snail infestation in check within 3-4 weeks. I think i had about 8 of them and they have cleared hundreds of pond snails of various sizes.
Since tank has no more of these I found couple empty shells as well. Also they did managed to lay eggs and I have small assassins around I noticed some empty shells of the young ones as well.
So they either die or are eating each other.

I did supplement high protein food for them to eat but they never seem that interested in it so OP could be spot on.

#11 ·
Assassins are voracious hunters. In hindsight one will balance a tank over-run with other snails. Before my assassin numbers reached 6 I should have traded some off or given some away.

Snails need calcium so you're onto something with the shrimp pellets.
Assassins will usually die off without food snails.

#12 ·
When you guys say shrimp pallets you mean pallets made out of shrimp or the food for shrimps that has calcium in it ?

Want to try it out to give my guys a better chance. I have about 30 eggs in my planted 40gal sitting on wood for about a week so I'd imagine once they hatch they will all die as there is no snails for them to feed on

#13 ·
When you guys say shrimp pallets you mean pallets made out of shrimp or the food for shrimps that has calcium in it ?

Want to try it out to give my guys a better chance. I have about 30 eggs in my planted 40gal sitting on wood for about a week so I'd imagine once they hatch they will all die as there is no snails for them to feed on
Hope the eggs can hatch, and the baby snails can survive as well.

#14 ·
Just want to add to this post that I did witnessed in one of my tanks one adult assassin take other one out. It's the tank that most food gets scooped by always hungry fish.

I also found by trying different food that they really liked earthworm sticks I had most of them came out to eat with lights on.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.