Crystal Red Shrimp 101 - Page 2 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.  

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Invertebrates
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Invertebrates Who you calling a shrimp!?

Old 04-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #11
RONY11

Feedback Score: (0)
RONY11 is on a distinguished road

Can u give guidelines on how to take good care of baby shrimps till they come to adulthood. What n how much to feed them, etc. What could be the reasons for losing/babies dying after a month or two ?
RONY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
CrystalMethShrimp
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (4)
CrystalMethShrimp is on a distinguished road

Hi sin,

Both soil are the same except the brown is more nutrient rich for plants and algae, and remember that crs loves to eat green algae. I wouldn't worry, since both soil will do an amazing job of bring your ph down to 6.4 which is the main reason for buying shrimp soil.

I agree, their tanks are beautiful and oddly very inexpensive.

Last edited by CrystalMethShrimp; 04-21-2011 at 12:34 PM..
CrystalMethShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
camboy012406
shrmpchoholic

Feedback Score: (16)
camboy012406 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONY11 View Post
Can u give guidelines on how to take good care of baby shrimps till they come to adulthood. What n how much to feed them, etc. What could be the reasons for losing/babies dying after a month or two ?

dirty water
Old 04-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
CrystalMethShrimp
Devoted Member

Chapter 2: Baby Deaths

Baby deaths is a common occurrence with both beginner and medium level hobbyists have. I've lost countless babies myself, but in the process I did learn a few things.
There are many variables / factors that can kill a baby crs. We can only find the answer through a process of elimination and the best method of doing this is by looking the most probable causes first. Let me start by informing you that a typical mother in ideal conditions can give birth from 10 to 20 babies in a single batch. Not all the babies will live past the first week let alone the first month.

A small portion of deaths (10%-50%) will be attributed to weak genetics. Since this is currently out of our control we will focus on other areas.

The main causes of crs deaths will firstly be water conditions and secondly food source.

Ideal water conditions are based on accurate parameters and water stability.
First off invest in a good bag of shrimp soil. Too many people take shortcuts here including myself with peat/leaves/co2 and we wind with lots of crs baby deaths and a few adults here and there while we scratch our heads puzzled. You know you'll end up buying the soil regardless and in the mean time you would of wasted time/money/and countless crs deaths.

You need R/O water, crs prefer a tds(total dissolved solids) of less then 300us.

My newly setup crs tank's is a success with the shrimp soil and R/O water. I've never seen my crs so vibrant and active.
My parameters are 6.4ph/6gh/2kh(you'll need to buy a gh/kh tester kit, no way around it) temp 22, NO3<10ppm (this is very important to the health of your crs, and obviously ammonia/NO2 are both at 0ppm) and all you really need is the soil and ro water, that's it!

Now the difficult part is keeping all of this stable. Something I had to learn the hard way and now you'll learn it the easy way after reading the this.
-avoid co2, they cause ph swings, are hard to control, and commercial/profession breeders rarely touch the stuff.
-keep tank in a room with stable temp. My room is 22-23 degrees consistently day and night. Avoid keeping your tank near windows as the temp can drop rapidly overnight and beware of computers as they can heat up a room very quickly, especially with the door closed ( this is why some office buildings leave their comp on 24/7 and leave the heater off during fall and spring)
-keep water changes small, and at similar temps. Remember to replace any additives you remove such as mosura mineral plus (I will be doing a review on products/store review in my upcoming posts)

In order to master this skill you must practice and be aware of "water discipline" and no shortcuts.
The more you practice the easier it gets, I promise.

For crs baby food source, all you need is the double sponge filter (I picked up from AI for $10) which my babies love to climb all over to find food and tons of surface area for the bacteria they enjoy to grow. I use baby food like shirakiku from Menagerie, or Waka ebi from theshrimplab.com which has great baby food at the most affordable prices and is already sol out but check back soon.

Keep in mind the babies don't eat the baby food, rather it feeds the bacteria and help them to multiply. The babies then eat the bacteria. Read the feeding instructions on the labels and then reduce by half. All commercial products instruct us to use a lot more then we need so we'll have to buy more sooner. "rinse then repeat" sound familiar?

Water parameters/stability and food source, this alone accounts 80% for cause of death among baby crs. (Excluding genetic deaths)

I'm currently able to maintain these parameters and my babies are active and healthy. Something I cannot claim in my previous tank which lacked the soil and sponge.

Last edited by CrystalMethShrimp; 04-28-2011 at 03:13 PM..
CrystalMethShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
RONY11

Feedback Score: (0)
RONY11 is on a distinguished road

CrystalMethShrimp I PM'd u with my specific problem.
My tank parameters r (checked 2day) PH 6.4 KH 2 GH 5 Temp 22-23
I have a temp.controller attached to fans which go on the minute the temp. rises above 23 degrees. My heater (Sera) is at 22 degrees, I do not disconnect my heater during summers as well. Light is on for 8 hrs on timer,
0.5 watt per litre, tank is 24 lts net. I feed sparingly.
RONY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #16
bettaforu
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (44)
bettaforu is just really nice

I don't use RO water I have straight tap water that is conditioned with Amquel+. I feed Mosura Gravidas and Mosura Bio Plus, as well as Hikari algae wafer, Shirakura shrimp food. I feed every other day, sparingly! I don't clean the bottom of my shrimp tanks, I have brig snails in these tanks, and they clean up any left over food very quickly.

I have currently over 100+ babies of all ages, and new babies and mammas berried again! I have Fluval stratum soil in this 10 gallon square tank with a piece of dragon lace rock and moss floating in the tank. I have left 3 sides of my tank with algae growing on it which feeds the babies, including new ones! Temp is room at 70F year round, no heater, and light is on 12 hours daily.

Algae is also growing on my rocks too. ALL new babies need algae to feed off, so by removing algae from your tanks as some people do, you are depriving the shrimps of natural food source!

Sponge filters are great for breeding tanks as all shrimps will eat any biofilm on those including the new babies! I use one HOB filter and one sponge in each tank.
bettaforu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #17
camboy012406
shrmpchoholic

Feedback Score: (16)
camboy012406 is on a distinguished road

hi anna I want to see your babies:-)
Old 04-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #18
TBemba
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (2)
TBemba has a spectacular aura about

Question: How do you do water changes? I figure if you have expensive shrimp you wouldn't want to suck them up.

Percent of water change and how it's done.

thanks
Old 04-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #19
CrystalMethShrimp
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy012406 View Post
hi man, just want to ask if what kind of hob filter would fit if that kind of spongefilter I will use?
Hey camboy. The filter I have it hOoked up to is a marina slim which I picked up from AI for only $20. But I've also tested it with many other aqua clear filters and they all fit, though not very snug.

With the double sponge filter just remove the top 90 degree bend(black plastic piece) On the filter remove the intake piece. Now there should be a hole in the motor where the intake piece was. Just stick in the double sponge filter and your set.

I'm sure this double sponge intake will fit any filter. My eheim which I'm cycling right now in another tank will be fitted to this piece next week. Hopefully it's a snug fit but if not I'll just go to lowdepot and buy a small piece of tubing($2) to connect the two. Hope that answers your question.

It's so much fun to watch your shrimps climb all over, in and between the slits. They love this and I'm really glad AI had it for only $10.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #20
CrystalMethShrimp
Devoted Member

Thanks for these tips Anna. I'm one of the guilty parties responsible for removing my algae and that was a great point.

For those new to gta or the inverts section, Anna is one of the first and most experienced breeders here in Toronto. She is full of great advice and I'm looking forward to her adding her expertise as we develop this thread. Perhaps you could give us a review on the mosura gravidas? (shrimp viagara)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBemba View Post
Question: How do you do water changes? I figure if you have expensive shrimp you wouldn't want to suck them up.

Percent of water change and how it's done.

thanks
Either siphon the water without sucking anything near the bottom or use a cup and remove 10%-15% of the tank water every week. Then replace with R/O (reverse osmosis) water. If you have to use tap, then let it sit in a pale/bucket with some primer (removes chlorine/chloromine) for atleast 24 hours.