GTA Aquarium Forums banner

PetSmart

12K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  twobytwo 
#1 ·
Have you been by lately? Let us know how it went!

Please make sure to mention which store you visited :)

PetSmart

Toronto Store

835 Eglinton Ave E
East York, ON M4G 4G9
416-696-0388

Scaborough Store
12 William Kitchen Drive
Scarborough, ON M1P 5B7
416-335-7922

Vaughan Store
7575 Weston Road
Vaughan, ON L4L 9K5
905-850-8970

Richmondhill Store

225 High Tech Road
Richmond Hill, ON L4B 0A6
905-764-6116

Markham Store

3155 Hwy 7
Markham, ON L3R 0J5
905-415-1755

Mississauga Store

5950 Rodeo Dr
Mississauga, ON L5R 3V6
905-501-9888

See less See more
#2 ·
Ciddian,

Thanks for the posting. I'll have my reviews online soon. Just having dinner while recalling all I can of the areas and slowly adding to my review.

Must om nom nom now... :D

#4 ·
if you guys are looking for some cheap African Cichlid, petsmart in Richmond Hill got some

Eye Biter Cichlid $2.50 each
mbuna johanni $2.50 each

and some more at around $3-5 (not an expert on African Cichlid)

#6 ·
Just got home after a friend dropped me off. Was out with a friend to PetsMart @ Eglinton & Laird.

If you're into chrickets they give you a few extra if you buy a lot for your amphbians/etc. When you check out their tanks perhaps just this week I asked the CSR there why goldies are in with tropical fish as there were about 5-6 tanks and each had hwat appeared to be one large comet goldie in them. The CSR said that they've bene having a MTS problem so the goldies eat the MTS. When I mentioned the ramhorn and MTS hardness she said the goldies can crush them with their teeth and jaw. >_<;;

I've had some MTS before and some of the MTS in the tanks looked about half full size. IIRC MTS shells are harder them Ramhorns as I tried to crush some dead MTS shells before it was not as easy as young Ramhorn half the size. :(

Found out the fish guy Michael transfered from Hwy7 & Bayview to that location but didn't get a chance to ask him about the goldie thing in the tank thing.

I think the Eglinton & Laird location is only good for stop over for some live foods and not the live stock after seeing the goldies in there sucking up gravel then dropping them.

#7 ·
Yea they did have a huge MTS population that is for sure.

I think I asked someone, not at that location a while ago about the goldies in each tank and head office said some stupid thing about them eating algae or something?? o_O

Ehh.. I kinda hate that.

#9 ·
Yea they did have a huge MTS population that is for sure.

I think I asked someone, not at that location a while ago about the goldies in each tank and head office said some stupid thing about them eating algae or something?? o_O

Ehh.. I kinda hate that.
Well I told the CSR there that I've had MTS (population crashed >.<;) and ramhorns and MTS are hard on the shells. I'd be worried about a clown loach taking on one of those MTS (full size or half size those shells are hard in my experience) as well. When I mentioned something about the goldie may choke she said the goldie can pass the MTS shell while digesting the insides. :rolleyes: I'm not sure that would happen. I got my live food and we left there. Next time I'm going to talk with Michael and see what he says about the conditions given when I spoke with him a few times as his old P.Mart location he was the resident fish expert with IIRC reef/freshwater/salt large tanks and knew a bit about the fish keeping. I'll see if he can change some of the conditions there unless he's getting pressed by the brass and hands tied.

BTW the Perfecto lid is not a universial 10gal lid. Unless you own a wide sander sometimes you'll have to shave ~1cm off every corner like in my case unless I can find a smaller one to fit the lip rim.

#10 ·
Was at the Richmond Hill location yesterday after a dentist appt. . Checked it out and found they have 3 what appeared to be healthy Juli Cory's in the tank. Thier tanks look crystal clear as I was looking at the livestock as I've been thinking of changing my tank lately.

During my chat it seems the store picked the livestock which has the most compatible pH/temp range as they run a central filter. I never asked about the pH and temp thing till today when I was curious about it. Thier tropical and cold water are running on two seperate central filters as with pretty much all Petsmarts. Those yo-yo loaches such are interesting to me now. I saw 3 of them wrapppd around the water intake what appeared to be not dead. Perhaps it's thier comical nature? I don't know as I'll have to read up more on them. The tanks seemed clean from the front to back and IIRC the waterflow intake/nozzles are all looking algae free.

Have not seen that clean a tank setup in a while as some other Petsmarts (perhaps I came before thier major cleaning day) they seem to have algae neear the back and on the waterflow intakes. (Well... Hwy 7 & Woodbine & Eglinton & Laird locations)

The CSR I spoke to was very friendly and helpful when I was popping up questions about cycling to test what they knew about it and livestock knowledge. Stuff I knew already but just seeing how CSR are. Ended up having the CSR learning of Vampire Shrimp and a perked up interest in Vampire Crabs when I explained thier look she said she loved colorful stuff. If you want those Juli's they're IIRC $4.99/ea and they do have some selected items with PetsPerks but I did not take note on those.

Definately going to give thier location more visits when I'm in the area given the helpful staff and what appeared to be good tank conditions. I did not give a long hard look at each livestock for ich tho. I only looked to see what appeled to me as livestock that did not appeal to me before suddenly looked good. Must be the web pics of the livestock that made it look not that interesting then. :D

#12 ·
There's a wicked disease making it's round from the far east. It will rot the fins off a fish in two days flat. Any store with a central filtration system will have trouble removing it. It's viral with secondary infections that include ick, fin rot and thickening of the body slime coat.

#13 ·
As 50seven mentioned, there is a 2nd PetSmart location in Richmond Hill:

N Richmond Hill
Store #1676
1700 Elgin Mills Road East, Unit 1
Richmond Hill, ON L4S 0B2
905-787-8740
3.62 miles

And if you consider Hwy 7 & Woodbine Richmond Hill (as I do), that brings the total PetSmart locations up to 3 in Richmond Hill.

PetSmarts are great places to buy Rosy Red Minnows as feeders, since these minnows are resistant to diseases unlike feeder goldfish, which have thick skulls that can choke the fish eating them and can spread ich to the tank if they swim around long enough before being eaten. Bought a few minnows to finish/test a cycle and they're really nice fish @19c! Also, PetSmart does not enforce a 10 quantity minimum purchase for their low price, unlike @BAs. If I was going with a community tank I'd want 5-6 minnows because they're very active, always dig for fallen/uneaten food and they school.

#15 ·
Many years ago, the PetSmart at Woodbine & Hwy 7 used to carry some cool aggressive South American cichlids (red devil, etc.) on an almost weekly basis (I used to look forward to their shipments). It's MUCH more community these days, which pretty much lost me as a customer. I'm not bitter because businesses have to do what's best to turn the greatest profit. Currently, their display tanks have some cool Easter Island head ornaments (2 types), but neither were for sale the two times I went.

#16 ·
Petsmart Scarborough. Clean, though not much selection of fish. No feeder goldfish. Staff were friendly. They have a 14 day dead fish policy, which I tested and they made good on it. No hassles. The neon tetras are $2/each and are much larger than the medium neons at Big Als. The fish seem healthy and there were no dead or obviously sick fish in their tanks. They have lots of equipment, and not so great sales. I've actually not bought anything on sale, all regular price but cheaper than Big Al's.

Overall a good experience, and the kids like going there.

#20 ·
LOL well there is a new petsmart at Birchmount and eglington I rather like myself. In the same lot as TD bank, Zellers... just before the staples.

The one at 401 and kennedy just doesn't feel right to me anymore, But I think that is because I preferred it as the SuperPet when I worked there lol Staff is very nice there for sure. :)

#26 ·
Over the last 10 years, I have bought more fish, decor and accessories at Petsmart than any other lfs because the prices are usually better...they don't have the selection like Big Al's, but for what they do stock, Petsmart is usually cheaper

Power filters and cartridges on sale....cheaper than anywhere I've seen
http://www.petsmart.ca/search?SearchTerm=MARINELAND�+Penguin+350B+Power+Filter

Never thought of buying plants at Petsmart, but I did and the prices are not bad. Not all locations have plants, so call first..
http://www.petsmart.com/gsi/webstor...log-Browse?CategoryName=300070&CatalogName=36

Years ago, Petsmart used to have large aquariums for their live stock, but right now, most locations have small tanks and that's a shame. Overall I like the stores and the staff are usually friendly and helpful.

What I don't like about Petsmart is the fact that there are too many dogs in there (I love dogs and had dogs in the past) and the problem is usually not the dogs, but the owners. What do I mean? I'll give 1 of many examples...A few weeks ago, I was trying to pay for my purchase using interac and I was interrupted because this ladies 2 dogs leashes were wrapped around my ankles and I almost fell over and she never even apologized to me...like I was in the way or something.

Overall I give Petsmart 8 out of 10

#27 ·
The petsmart at Eglington and Sutherland Drive has great selection of cichlids but they treat their fish awfully.. There's ALWAYS dead fish floating around, and trapped under rocks. I got really sad when I saw a dead convict cichlids and everything was just eating it.. Other than the poor maintenance the options are okay.

[emoji389]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.