GTA Aquarium Forums banner

hard algae inside the tank

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  sooley19 
#1 ·
i have some built up algae inside my tank on the glass i was just wondering if there was a way to clean it up.. the fish are still in my tank so i need something to use that is fish and coral friendly.. any help would be awesome

#6 ·
Chances are you have Coraline algae. A calcium type. A razor blade will work. But you need to be careful not to scratch your glass (very easy to do!). There are plastic blades available, Kent makes the one I have. This works well if you remember to clean the glass frequently.

If your tank looks like mine, a 3" border around the edges, then the razor blade is likely the best option.

#7 ·
yeah i have a 14 gallon bio cube that i will be taking pictures of tomorrow morning so you guys can see what I'm talking about.. its like little small green spots all over the glass but hopefully the pictures will show what I'm talking about..

#15 ·
Did you say 14 gallon tank?
Snails will eat algae on your glass.
Razor/handle you can find at most fish stores-relatively cheap.

What do you think is the reason for the algae outbreak? Phosphates in water? Sunlight hitting your tank? While I agree it is good to remove the bad algae, I think that the CAUSE for the sudden change is worth investigating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.