GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Magnet Cleaner Good idea or bad idea?

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Mlevi 
#1 ·
They seem overpriced to me. But the convenience of cleaning my aquarium without sticking my arm in and contaminating the water might make it worth it.

What's your opinion on this item? Do you love it/hate it?

I'd love to get some feedback on whether i should get one or not.

#2 ·
i have the long arm algae scrubbers and the magnet cleaners. I have to say it's very convenient to use the magnet cleaners.

However I have no issue putting my hand in my tanks. I leave my magnet cleaner in my tank (grows algae on it over time, which i just clean once in a while as my cichlids graze on it). but it's ver nice to have around for a quick scrub of the glass overy now and then without having to fish out a scrubber and go to town with it.

My opinion, worth it!

#3 ·
Just wondering, do small snails ever get caught under the magnet and scratch the glass?

#4 ·
This, and gravel are a couple of the fastest ways to scratch your glass. I thought I wouldn't have that issue after buying the strongest one out there, and yet, some how, brittle stars in my tank still get under it! Nothing that two swipes doesn't take care of (squish). I do take mine out, and clean it now and then.

Posted with my Xperia, using Tapatalk 2

#9 ·
Careful! Not all things are created equal! Some cheap magnets will rust in the tank! And not all are really strong enough to do the job. Imo, big als sells a decent valued one. Also, it is a no brainer, make sure it floats!!! Pay extra if needed!

Posted with my Xperia, using Tapatalk 2

#11 ·
Yep...I'm wary of the potential for scratches, and, since I can't be bothered to check the surface each and every time (that would sorta defeat the purpose of leaving them in the tank), I am scared of using them.

I just picked up a new tank from someone, and I noticed that he uses those dollarama 'exfoliating gloves' to clean his tanks. Said they were the best product for the purpose, although I've never tried that myself. I asked about the risk of chemical contamination, and he said he's been using 'em for a long time without issue but that he boiled them before first use. Got myself a pair, but so far unwilling to take a chance with any of my tanks :(

#12 ·
I use filter fibre. The only annoying thing about it is shreds breaking loose, but some of the thick blue stuff doesn't shred easily. It's pretty good for scrubbing off algae.

Those bath gloves are just spun polyester (same material as filter fibre) -- nothing harmful in that once rinsed.

#14 ·
Always clean the outside glass on your tank first. Foreign objects on the outside of the tank will scratch the glass. Be careful when using the magnetic brush close to strata as dragging some types of strata will scratch, other then that, there is minimal risk of scratching. I have a Mag float for all my tank sizes. If you have small or younge snails you may need to knock them off the glass before you begin cleaning, unless you want to kill them. Larger snails will see it comming and drop off the glass. If you are running a freshwater system I would recommend a healthy number of nerite snails. They do a much better job then any brush will and its one less maintenance job for you to do. Mag brushes last at least 10x longer then the scrubbers on sticks. Over the long run they are the most economical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.