GTA Aquarium Forums banner

New user problem

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  camber 
#1 ·
Hi ive been registered for over a week and still have no permissions to private message or view.pictures. i.posted.in the aithentication thread. Can anyone help? Thanks

#4 ·
I has identical issue, as I registered and for whatever reason it took about 10 days before I acquired full permissions to private message or view.pictures. I also posed in the aithentication thread. Very frustrating for new members as documentation does not state it will take this long to become fully active.

#7 ·
Admins

Admins if this is true .. it's really a great way to piss off the new blood into not returning .. not sure what the issue is but there's multiple new members with the same issue ..maybe it should be looked at .just saying ..
Cheers and welcome to all the new member's
.hope we didn't scare ya off...

#16 ·
Admins if this is true .. it's really a great way to piss off the new blood into not returning
10000x this. I created my account in 2014, couldn't view photos or post. I left infuriated and didn't come back until 2016. In early 2016 I really wanted to look at pictures and contacted support and they said everything should be okay with my account. It wasn't but I came back about a month later and everything was working for some reason. The activation system really doesn't work as it should.

#9 ·
Hi,

I took a look at your accounts and it seems like it was on hold waiting for approval by a mod.

It could have been a busy time for them so they were unable to get to it right away.

~Sheena
Just wondering, wouldn't a captcha be able to replace this approval thing? bots and spam bots cant do the captchas as far as I know

#11 ·
This is not a new issue. :confused: I had the same exact problem back in April 2014 when I registered. The only difference is that at least the people above can post on the forum, I could not.. After a few days, I filled in the Contact Us form and no reply. I even tried to contact someone using the Report Post button and no reply.

At about two weeks, I was eventually activated.

#12 ·
As a Mod I thought I'd provide some info that may help show why we have the processes in place and why it may take a little longer than some new members are happy with.

First of all there is a section on this Forum where all new members must post to prove they are not a bot or spammer. A lot of these new members don't take the time to read that this is a requirement and therefore end up waiting for a while before realizing they need to create a thread in that section so a Mod can review their request.

Why do we do this? Well its because we want to keep this Forum as safe as possible. Its not only the bots and spammers we're trying to prevent from creating accounts. We find past members that have been banned are sometimes trying to create a new account and we don't approve them. We also get current members that forget account credentials trying to create a new account and we work with them to restore their access or if they're trying to change their user name we assist with that as well.

We also get members trying to create a second profile for some reason we're not 100% sure about and we point out to them that is against the rules. Why is it against the rules? Well for example a member could use that second account to leave themselves positive feedback to make it look like they're someone we should trust. They could also use that account to leave negative feedback for a member without worrying about getting negative feedback themselves.

So you see its not always black and white when it comes to approving new members and that's why it takes time.

And I'd just like to add that there are only a few Mods and we volunteer to do this job while we also have full time jobs and family responsibilities that take priority.

So if you joined on a Friday afternoon of a long weekend don't be surprised if it takes until the following week to get approved. Please be patient.

--
Thanks...Paul
The Mod Team

#13 ·
Mods

Hey Paul. First of all was not meant to be a let's trash the mods . We relize u do your best and its volunteer work u have helped me in the past and it is appreciated maybe not as much as u should get but it is appreciated.
The only issue I see in this is maybe if there was a way to speed up the process so as to not detour anyone from not joining and relizing how great this forum is ..first impressions are important ...there are some great people on here and we all make this site work for everyone's needs ...
Thanks again
Tom

#15 ·
Hi,

It looks like there are about 4 very active mods on the site at the moment. I'm not too sure if they want too many cooks in the kitchen though. They seem to be pretty on top of things, although it can sometimes take a couple of days before they catch something that slips between the cracks.

~Sheena

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.