GTA Aquarium Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WANTED : Brampton > Looking for FREE healthy feeder guppies & snails

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  YMS_1975 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm in Brampton, Ontario and I'm looking for healthy feeder guppies & snails as a treat for my turtles.

I'm looking for fish that will breed quite easily on their own without too much intervention on my part (my understanding is that guppies breed like crazy).

I can travel within the GTA to pick them up.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I have a tank setup for turtle food. Guppies or endlers are the easiest fish for this purpose. but they still need good water to breed. When neglected, they don't breed.

My tank has guppies, ramhorn snails, MTS, assassins, marbled crayfish and a 1" layer of riccia floating at the top. If/when I redo the tank, I will try to make it ramhorn only as the MTS and assassins shell is not good for the turtles to eat.

#3 ·

I have a tank setup for turtle food. Guppies or endlers are the easiest fish for this purpose. but they still need good water to breed. When neglected, they don't breed.

My tank has guppies, ramhorn snails, MTS, assassins, marbled crayfish and a 1" layer of riccia floating at the top. If/when I redo the tank, I will try to make it ramhorn only as the MTS and assassins shell is not good for the turtles to eat.
Good information. I had a private message sent to me earlier, and the individual advised me that "pond snails" would be a good fit and they should be relatively easy to get.

#4 ·
If you can't find pond snails, you aren't trying hard enough :). They're everywhere. And they breed fast. So do Ramshorns, but pond snails are the least fussy of snails and seem to be the most prolific. Almost any bunch plant from a LFS will have at least pond snail eggs, if not snails themselves.
If you want a few, I'm always finding them and tossing them out. Let me know if you'd like me to keep a few for you. Back in high school I kept turtles too, and I used to let them swim in my community tank while I cleaned theirs out, so they'd eat the darn snails. They used to remind of me of people eating potato chips.. you could hear them crunching across the room. As they were baby turtles, they were not able to swim fast enough to be a danger to any of the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.