GTA Aquarium Forums banner

unknown outcome

9K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  archgop 
#1 ·
Dilemma, was worried that I'm starting a too little tank for setting up a 2.5g planted tank. Parts and equiptments were all bought here in gtaa. Yesterday, received an approximately 1g office tank. I thought has some potential , picture should explain what I'm talking about better. So after confirming that I can upgrade my tank size in a later date if I see it not working out for me, would start with the 1gallon office tank and work my way up if needed.

So here's my list (for now)
1gallon office tank (you'll know what I mean when the pic's up)
Ott lite desk lamp (was on sale @ Canadian tire)
Red sea's nano filter
Fluval spectrum substrate
Heater tbd
Inhabitants not sure yet

#2 ·
I will just poke in and say a 2.5 gallon planted tank would owrk wonderfully. I have a 1.5 gallon planted with a couple CPD's in it filter's a whisper, heater is a HOB one. light though is my 4 footers that spans several tanks. Still, it works. It can be done, it's just tricky finding the small sized plants :3 Good luck!

#3 ·
here's my tank with the mystery items

I got this tank as a gift so will start with this one and see where it goes. It's ~1gallon tank.

And tadaaaaaaa!!!

And here it is out of the box with the mystery item.

I plan on removing all those office furnitures of course and that'll be the next step for this tank.

#7 ·
sorry, but wasn't digging it with it in it. But i do plan to put the tank on top of my office furniture. So kinda like inside out now..heheheh..

lmao, where'd u get that tank and how much did it cost? that is awesome for work!!
hahaha, i know!!! wasn't happy when i got it but my sister also put a gift card inside it that made me love it and love her. I think she bought it from Winners. Not sure for how much...

#10 ·
seconded. Moar pics plz <3 ugh my writing has gone to hell been in irc too much.

#13 ·
I want your light fixture. I have a filter that size too.

#14 ·
Finally Got time to put this together...

Ok got me a couple hours to work into this tank , so tried my best to quickly put this together. Pictures should be self explanatory but will put a little notes on some/most of it. Of course criticisms and advise are always welcome.

You've probadly seen enough picture of this empty tank already but here it is again...

Few of the small rocks i have left from setting up my 46G tank...

HC that came floating around from my current shrimp tank.

And here's everything that i have to work with for now..

Wash the substrate till water runs clear...

used gift cards are pretty useful for scaping your substrate...

played around with the rocks and due to the small foot print of the tank, had a hard time fitting in all 4 rocks..this is where i need most of your help... you may see some changes with these rock arrangements as the tank matures.

planted the HCs, and this ain't easy, my tweezers are a little too big for the tank but quite manage and shove it in. will grow this emerse till roots start to grab on to the substrate and will add the rest of the plants (unknown as of yet) when it's ready to be filled in.

and VOILA!!!...FTS and current state of the tank.

#16 ·
quick question guys, since this is small enough that a bottle of water is enough for water changes, is it a good idea to just use the one you'd buy in the market rather than the come that comes in the faucet. That way i don't have to use water conditioners?

I think i'm about ready to fill it up, just need to find some grass like that will go in the back..

#17 ·
I wouldn't use expensive spring water. You could use the 4L jugs of distilled water..

However, since this is Earth Day, I suggest you use a source that doesnt require so many resources to extract, bottle, ship, and sell containers of water.
:eek:

#18 ·
Major set back... my fluval light just died. It sucks as I've only used it for less than two months for about 8 hours a day. Not sure if its the bulb or the whole fixture itself.

The good news is though...my hc has grown enough and I may be ready to fill it in this weekend ..also my filter is fully cycle as it is coming from my shrimp tank.

Besides shrimp, can anyone suggest the smallest fish that I can put in it.

#19 ·
Did you buy it at a store? They may be willing and able to replace the whole unit, though the issue was supposedly the bulb...There was a quiet recall...

Major set back... my fluval light just died. It sucks as I've only used it for less than two months for about 8 hours a day. Not sure if its the bulb or the whole fixture itself.

The good news is though...my hc has grown enough and I may be ready to fill it in this weekend ..also my filter is fully cycle as it is coming from my shrimp tank.

Besides shrimp, can anyone suggest the smallest fish that I can put in it.

#28 ·
a quick peek before i start adding a Dwarf hair grass and some sort of curly grass. Didn't have enough time today so will have to do it tomorrow...heading to BA tomorrow as well and hoping to find some sort of small heater.

Nice little project! I am actually about to work on a similar one myself...
The photo looks like you have a plastic wrap on top of it... What is the purpose of that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.