GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Tank Salt. What are you using

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  noy 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I have been using Instant Ocean salt since I started in the Hobby 15 years ago. Never had any issues

Just wondering what everyone uses on there tanks?

#5 ·
50/50 for me.

#6 ·
The best salt in my opinion is D&D by h20, i bought my last bucket at NAFB for 89.00, thats a great price but nothing wrong with Reef Crystals or Tropic Marin, even Fritz is good unless youve got a SPS tank. I do 25 gl every month on a 125, may not seem great but i,ll bet if people were truthful most dont do them at all.

#9 ·
If your preferred salt is out of stock or want to switch brands, it depends on water params of the system vs NSW and volume you change.

Less than 15%, you can go 100% new salt without problems. Between 15-25%, SPS dominant I would mix 50/50, LPS softie mix 100% new.

If in doubt, TEST, TEST, TEST!!!

#11 · (Edited)
I started the hobby using IO Reef Crystals (white/orange) buckets.
Later on found savings buying the boxes on boxing day.

2 years ago switched to Red Sea Coral Pro (black buckets)
This year I switched to Red Sea Salt (blue buckets)

There's chart comparisons out there on reef salts that are interesting read.
-best value $/gallon
-calcium, magnesium, alk

I want to try Tropic Marin soon.

#13 ·
This is the chart comparing the different saltwater mixes.

https://www.thatpetplace.com/salt-mix-guide

Reef Crystals in recent years has crazy high alk - something i can personally attest to. I have tested the last few batches i bought and they run around 12 - each time i tested. Aquarium Depot has IO and RC - fairly reasonably priced too. Think they may be the only local vendors.

Think alkalinity shifts are what you need to be worried about (not that worried about calcium) if you have a SPS tank.

If you run at 9 dkh and do a 20% change using RC (assuming 13 dkh) - this would bump the alk to 9.8. Probably not catastrophic.

If you run at 9 dkh and do a 30% change using RC - this would bump the dkh to 10.2.

I alternate between Fritz and IO/RC depending whats on sale. Not a big fan of the packaging for Fritz - big giant bag whereas IO/RC breaks up each box into smaller bags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.