Default's Plant List + Additives (New) - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > GREATER TORONTO AREA MARKETPLACE > Buy, Sell & Trade > Freshwater Plants
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Freshwater Plants A classifieds section dedicated to freshwater plants and mosses

Old 07-25-2016, 02:10 AM   #1
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (108)
default is a splendid one to behold default is a splendid one to behold
Forsale Default's Plant List + Additives (New)

So I decided to upgrade my plant list in a new thread, this will be updated whenever possible with more plants, descriptions, and photos.

I've also shipped a fair amount all across Canada, so shipping is definitely fine by me.

Fertilizer list below!

Adding colour to show difficulty of species:
Green - Easy - Capable of growing in various environments, would be suitable for almost any aquarist.
Orange - Intermediate - Requires a little more attention, co2 supplementation would be ideal, but still suitable for most.
Red - Advanced - Requires more work, whether it be more light, co2, or certain water parameters.

To the plants! All quantities are minimums.

Foregrounds:

Utricularia Graminifolia 1.5"x1.5" for $10 - Beautiful low growing 'grassy' like carnivorous bladderwort, slow acclimation period, but grows quickly afterwards. Does best in softer waters with medium to high light. Great for paludariums and even vivariums, blooms beautiful flowers as well.

Hydrocotyle sp. Tripartita (Japan) 10 nodes for $5 - stunning low growing Hydrocotyle sp. that is very undemanding and quick growing. Does well in every tank, but prettiest under medium to high tech conditions. Grows very well emersed as well, perfect in paludariums or vivariums too.

Micranthemum Umbrosum 'Monte Carlo' - 1.5"x1.5" for $10 - a very short carpet plant, similar to HC Cuba, but with larger round leaves. Grows in low-high lighting.

Glossostigma Elatinoides 10+ stems for $5 - One of the fastest growing foreground plants, able to cover large areas very quickly. Very easy and adaptable, will be fine in both low and high tech tanks, co2 just makes it grow even faster.

Pogostemon Helferi 2-3 crowns for $5 - One of the prettiest foreground-midground plants around, the rippled leaves create an amazing contrast to any plant. Does well in both low-high tech tanks, however, the plant does require good flow. The rippled leaves also make the plant very sturdy in high flow areas, this plant can easily thrive in high current areas where other species would just be swept away.

Bolbitis Cuspidata - small rhizome (~5-7 leaves) for $8 - slow growing fern, very compact as leaves only grow around 1-2" tall. Co2 injection is higher lights help with frond colour and growth rate. (Currently unavailable)

Staurogynes repen - 5 stems for $5 - compact stems with vibrant green leaves, best in med-high lighting, just slower growing in low lights.

Ranunculus Inundatus - 3 nodes for $5 - compact and very unique looking, adds a unique shape to any aquascape. Good for both high and low light.

Alternanthera Reineckii "Mini" 4 stems for $5 - compact red and hardy. Very interesting foreground-midground plant, can be very in most tanks ranging from low-high tech. Grows fairly slow for a stem plant, but gets extremely boldly coloured and thick.

Lobelia Cardinalis 'Dwarf' 4 stems for $5 - slow growing foreground with dime-nickel sized leaves, capable of growing in various conditions from low-high tech.

Midground:

Bacopa Australis 8 stems for $5 - A Beautiful bright green midground/foreground plant, it can be trimmed for almost any part of a tank. Grows extremely thick and quick.

Bacopa Monnieri 8 stems for $5 - A quick growing Bacopa sp., beautiful in large bunches, a very undemanding sp. and it will thrive in most conditions.

Ludwigia "Super Mini Red" 5 stems for $5 - quick growing plant that is very undemanding, grows in almost every type of set up; from low to high light, co2 or non-co2 injected. Higher lighting and co2 will give you extreme red colouration, easily one of the most intense reds you'll find in an aquatic plant.

Floscopa Scandens 3-4 stems for $5 - slow growing large leafed midground species - good background for nano tanks. Co2 and higher lighting helps with the overall growth rate.

Hygrophila Pinnatifida 3-4 stems for $5 - moderate growing mid-background plant, can easily attach to wood, rocks, or any other surface. (currently unavailable)

Rotala sp. Green - 6 stems for $5 - One of the easiest Rotala species, but beautiful bright green with a decent growth rate. grows both horizontally and vertically, great when grown within hardscapes as it will creep over wood and rocks. Trims and branches very well.

Bacopa sp. japan 5+ stems for $5 - fast growing green Midground, very attractive in groups and bushes out very well. Good in many lighting conditions. (currently unavailable)

Blyxa Japonica 2-3 stems for $5 - grows quick and offers several different shades of colours from green, yellow, orange, and even red. Also occasionally has small white flowers.

Microsorum Pteropus (Java Fern) minimum 5-7 leaved rhizome (or plantlets) for $8 - Easy and hardy like the original Java Fern, just smaller and skinnier leaves, grows slowly and can handle almost any tank.

Trident Microsorum Pteropus (Java Fern) minimum 4-6 leaved rhizome (or plantlets) for $8 - Easy and hardy like the original, but the leaves are quite different, grow rate is still fairly slow, but extremely versatile and adaptable.

Hemianthus Micranthemoides 10 stems for $5 - Also known as Pearlweed, grows very quickly and gets very dense quite quickly. Able to grow in both high and low tech tanks. This plant can even be used as a foreground cover, this is achievable even in low lighted tanks. Although in high tech tanks, colour would be very bright and pearling is easily achieved.

Check the post below for more.

Last edited by default; 03-13-2018 at 10:24 PM..
default is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2016, 02:21 AM   #2
Devoted Member

Background:

Proserpinaca Palustris 4 stems for $5 - A beautiful delicate looking plant with a very unique leaf structure. Grows slow for a stem plant, normally orange/yellow, but turns red near the top. Plant holds onto bubbles very well - near the end of the photoperiod, there would be thousands of tiny pearls on the underside of the leaves.

Mexican Oak Leaf 6 Stems for $5 - A very unique fast growing background plant, the leaves are shaped like oak leaves and they sprout with a golden/brown hue, but open to a bright green. Very pretty and great for nature and Dutch layouts.

Ludwigia Glandulosa 3 stems for $5 - A colourful and fairly slow growing Ludwigia sp., can get extremely red - almost blood red in the right conditions, but would be a bright orange and red hue most of the time. Quite large leaves, around 2-3" each.

Potamogeton Gayi 5 stems/runners for $5 - Beautiful background plant that grows both vertically and horizontally via runners. It's very undemanding and is able to grow in almost any condition, including low light and non-co2 injected tanks. Has a slow acclimation time, so it takes some time to get growing, but once it does, it's quite steady.

Limnophila Hippuroides5 stems for $5 - Beautiful mid-background plant with pink and purple under the leaves with light silvery green on top - a little slower growing, but easy to grow overall.

Bolbitis heudelotii - 5-7 leaved rhizome for $8 - low demanding fern, great in tanks with high currents.

Ludwigia Arcuata 5 stems for $5 - Beautiful orange and red Ludwigia that grows very dense as side shoots are very numerous. Able to grow in both low and high tech set ups, it may turn a little green in low light conditions. (currently unavailable)

Limnophila Sessiliflora 6 stems for $5 - fine leaved and able to grow in very little light, grows quick in hi-tech, but grows more compact in low-tech. Great for Dutch scapes and low lighted tanks.

Moss and the likes:

Weeping Moss - $8/golfball - A lime green moss that takes a little while to acclimate, but grows quickly afterwards. Like it's name, it grows downwards, fantastic moss to use in areas were there's drops, caves, or "trees".

Mini pellia - $8/golfball - very dense growing plant, it attaches very well and holds on well even when thick. Good in all lighting conditions and low demanding. Slower growing so it won't take over your tank. (Currently Unavailable)

Fissidens Fontanus - $8/loose goftball - very undemanding and easy to grow, capable of growing in any condition, attaches to hardscapes very easily.

Spiky Moss - $8/golfball - Thick and quick growing moss that grows in a triangular fashion. Very similar to Christmas moss, but with a faster growth rate.

Floaters:

Salvinia minima - dozen+ for $5 - great looking floater with short roots so less mess! Good in all conditions.

Red Root Floaters - 8 for $5 - nice compact floater with short red roots when acclimated.

Check below for more!

Last edited by default; 03-13-2018 at 10:37 PM..
Old 07-25-2016, 02:22 AM   #3
Devoted Member

Fertilizer
These are personal mixes I've been using for some time, it's comprehensive mixes - one with both macro + micro, while the other mix utilizes potassium + micros. These mixes are used in all my tanks. Advantages of using a comprehensive mix: easier maintenance (only 25% water change a week), simpler to dose, and no measurements on spot.

After testing them in my personal tanks and in other hobbyists with packaged fertilizers like Tropica and Seachem, these are what I noticed:
- More concentrated.
- No unnecessary marketing additives (ex. amino acids, phytohormones, etc).
- Much better priced per volume and refillable at a lower cost.

Recommended dosage is 5ml per 50L(13 gallons) per week*
*For Complete Nutrition I would recommend 10-15ml for high tech tanks.
All fertilizers are packaged in 500ml natural bottles with 5ml caps.

Complete Nutrition - Formula contains both NPK and micros, this personal mix contains more potassium and slightly less micros. No ammonium is present. This is a complete fertilization regime for tanks that contain more flora then fauna, or higher lighting tanks. Also has trace amounts of vitamins to improve fauna immune systems and overall health.

Nutrition - Formula contains potassium and micros, used in less heavily planted tanks, higher fauna numbers, or lower lighting. This formula will provide the nutrients that get depleted quickly or otherwise difficult to come by without fertilization. This is what I recommend for anyone beginning in the planted side of the hobby. Also has trace amounts of vitamins to improve fauna immune systems and overall health.

Bottles:
16 oz (500ml) bottle: $10
32 oz (1L) bottle: $18
2x 32 oz (2L) bottles: $35

Save the environment by reusing the bottles, these bottles are high quality and very durable, just give them a rinse in warm-hot water and bring it back for a refill at a better price.

Refills:
16 oz (500ml) bottles: $8
32 oz bottles (1L): $15

If you're looking for specific mixes for elements; iron, potassium, nitrogen, phosphorous, or micros, feel free to send me a message, these can be created as well.

Last edited by default; 08-01-2017 at 09:35 PM..

Old 07-26-2016, 10:49 PM   #4
Devoted Member

Bump! Added fertilizers!
Old 07-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #5
planter
Aquascaping Apprentice

Feedback Score: (32)
planter has a spectacular aura about

Hey default,

how does your mix of Nutrition compare to flourish in terms of concentration? unless I'm missing something it looks more or less the same dosage wise.

flourish is 5 mil for 10 gallons yours is at 5mil for 13 gallons...

still much cheaper and yes i want some lol. just wondering if I'm reading this right or if you can make a more concentrated solution.
planter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
Devoted Member

Hey,

The difference between my Complete Nutrition and flourish are in the concentration:

- flourish has a much lower dosage suggestion, the comprehensive mix suggests dosing 5ml for every 60g, but if you look at the concentration of nitrogen, phosphorous, and even potassium - there are barely any present. One reason why most consider it a micro mix and not a complete regime.

- for most tanks that are more flora focused with higher lighting, the dosage of flourish would have to be several times the suggested amount - which is why they suggest to use their other products; nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorous alongside the flourish comp.

- I've also had in some situations water tinting due to flourish comp., the thick dark brown liquid in higher dosage amounts can turn the water slightly brown initially - then become slightly yellow for some time afterwards. Water changes helps.

The flourish comp. is comparable to the Nutrition mix I use for lower lighting tanks without the extra gimmicks. But as a micro focused dose, it would be similar in concentration, without the dark brown liquid. For your tank I would highly recommend having both the macro+micro mix!

Last edited by default; 07-27-2016 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: Oops, wrong wording.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #7
Ron Jung

Feedback Score: (11)
Ron Jung is on a distinguished road

You have been pm'd. Please email me directly to email address provided.

Thanks.
Ron.
Ron Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:08 PM   #8
RuggedChild

Feedback Score: (1)
RuggedChild is on a distinguished road
Default Interested in purchasing Bolbitis Cuspidata

Hey Default,

I am in interested in buying 2 portions of yourBolbitis Cuspidate. sending PM with direct contact details
RuggedChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:43 PM   #9
planter
Aquascaping Apprentice

Feedback Score: (32)
planter has a spectacular aura about

Just wanted to.mention that the ferts that default sold me are working very well. I will be buying more once I run out
planter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:32 AM   #10
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planter View Post
Just wanted to.mention that the ferts that default sold me are working very well. I will be buying more once I run out
I'm very happy to hear! Thanks for the kind bump!