Toronto tap water - let sit or use conditioner? - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > General Freshwater Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

General Freshwater Discussion For all topics relating to freshwater fish to the in's and out's of maintaining a freshwater tank.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:48 PM   #1
restoredvd

Feedback Score: (0)
restoredvd is on a distinguished road
Default Toronto tap water - let sit or use conditioner?

I live in Toronto. I have read that the city uses Chloramine to treat its water. I am afraid this will be harmful for fish if not treated with chlorinator conditioner?
Those of you who live within Toronto border, have you used tap water and just let it sit for x number of hours before? If so how many hours are safe enough?

I am looking to set up a guppy tank.
restoredvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 08:56 PM   #2
characinfan
Eats plants too

Feedback Score: (8)
characinfan is a splendid one to behold characinfan is a splendid one to behold

I let it sit at least overnight and, more frequently, around 24 hours. If I ever top up the tank with water right out of the tap, I use water conditioner, but mostly I just let it sit.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:00 PM   #3
youngt3

Feedback Score: (13)
youngt3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by characinfan View Post
I let it sit at least overnight and, more frequently, around 24 hours. If I ever top up the tank with water right out of the tap, I use water conditioner, but mostly I just let it sit.
same here. I usually let mine sit for 48 hours before using it to top off my tanks. If not, then definitely need to use conditioner
youngt3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2019, 09:05 PM   #4
tom g
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (80)
tom g has much to be proud of tom g has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to tom g
Default tap water

I use tap water for my wifes saltwater aquarium at her office with no issues …

hippo tang , yellow tang, 1 damsel ,flame hawk (favorite ),watchman goby ,harlequin star fish (hides boring ) bi -color blenny,cleaner wrasse , bengai cardinal,twin spot goby, mandarin .
sand sifting star fish ,
elusive marine betta(MIA - shows him self periodically -boring )

in progress TBA.....project tranquility ............

90 gallon dual drilled tank with sump
vertex 100-in
2 - evergrow leds ,dual t5 48" aquatic life fixture
tom g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:33 PM   #5
Karin
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (0)
Karin is on a distinguished road

The person who had this tank before me always just let the water sit overnight. Me, I use conditioner, because my schedule is so erratic, I fit in water changes rather randomly.
Karin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:00 AM   #6
Mlevi
Devoted Member

Mlevi will become famous soon enough

I add Seachem Prime to all the water i use for water changes.

Leaving municipal supply water overnight used to be the traditional method of getting rid of chlorine in this hobby, however, most municipalties (including Toronto) now use a combination of Chlorine and Ammonia (which forms Chloramine). Chloramine does not dissipate as readily, according to some claims.

Water conditioners also contain other beneficial components (for example, stuff that is supposed to help fish with their slime coats etc), and, a $20 bottle of prime lasts quite a while (in my case).

For me, even if none of the municipal water chemical dissipation rates / product marketing claims are true, it comes down to two things...peace of mind, and the convenience to do impromptu water changes.

$20 over a span of 6 months is a more than a fair tradeoff for that, in my humble opinion.

Al.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:49 PM   #7
characinfan
Eats plants too

Feedback Score: (8)
characinfan is a splendid one to behold characinfan is a splendid one to behold

>Leaving municipal supply water overnight used to be the traditional method of getting rid of chlorine

I've had the same fish for 27 years, so I can attest to this!

The other reason for letting water sit is to get it to come to room temperature, so that there's less thermal shock for the fish.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:16 AM   #8
Mlevi
Devoted Member

Mlevi will become famous soon enough

characinfan, 27 years is huge, even for a marblehead. That's awesome! Don't think I have ever come across a first hand account of any species of aquarium fish that was sustained for even close to that period. That is truly impressive. Tells me we have a dedicated aquarist in our midst, which is fantastic for the rest of us, as we get to benefit from your experience.

Didn't mean to imply that using conditioner is better than the traditional method of leaving water out overnight. Just sharing what works for me currently, and why I use it.
For me, using water conditioner, is like Pascal's wager. It doesn't take much doing, cost is minimal in my case, as, currently, my biggest tank is 35 Gal (a 500 ml bottle of Prime treats something like 6000 Gallons, if I recall correctly), and it gives me peace of mind, and flexibility of water changes without planning ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by characinfan View Post
>Leaving municipal supply water overnight used to be the traditional method of getting rid of chlorine

I've had the same fish for 27 years, so I can attest to this!

The other reason for letting water sit is to get it to come to room temperature, so that there's less thermal shock for the fish.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #9
mousey
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (3)
mousey is on a distinguished road

Newmarket uses chloramine. I use Prime as a conditioner. Sometimes the ammonia injector at the water treatment plants uses the wrong dose. I have had a whole tank of fish die when doing water changes in the spring when there is spring runoff. Then the water plant uses extra chlorine and ammonia. I now use a double dose of prime at each water change.

I have met people at the fish store who also have lost tanks of fish because of the chemical injection method the town uses.

As well I figure the Prime is a good overall cover to use when I clean the filters in case there is a mini spike of nitrates in the tanks.
mousey is offline   Reply With Quote