Top trim cracked.. removing/replacing? - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > DIY
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

DIY Show us what you've made! Questions, tips and guides on how to do it all yourself!

Old 01-05-2020, 03:59 PM   #1
Karen00

Feedback Score: (0)
Karen00 is on a distinguished road
Default Top trim cracked.. removing/replacing?

Hello all,

I just got a used 30g (or might be a 29g). The silicone on the top trim must've been starting to go (or the trim was previously replaced and not silconed properly) because when I went to get it out of my car I grabbed part of the trim and it basically lifted up off the rim and cracked. It's a clean break. I checked the rest of the top trim and I can almost lift it off. I also checked the rest of the tank (bottom trim, etc.) and it seems fine but I haven't tested it with water. Supposedly it was just torn down and everything was fine with it.

Anyway... I have to remove this and either try to fix it or replace it so my questions are:
1. Removing it: I saw a youtube video where a guy was converting a tank to rimless and showed how to remove the trim by using a putty knife to break the silicone. Is this the correct way to do it?
2. Fixing it: Would I use JB Weld (or something similar) to repair it or is it better to buy new?
3. Replacing it: Where can you get these? I have been searching all over and only found places in the U.S that sell them which is not ideal. I have not yet called Big Al's but I couldn't find anything on their website (although that doesn't mean they don't sell them). I have no idea who made the tank.

Thanks!
Karen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2020, 08:25 PM   #2
Mississauga dan

Mississauga dan is on a distinguished road

There was someone on kijiji recently that was selling bulk trim. As for removing the trim and old silicone. I also watched the video you are referring to. I can't say that this is the right or wrong way to remove the top trim, but I can say that I removed the trim on my 15 gallon using his method and it worked well for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191229_124502_1578273936712.jpg (70.0 KB, 15 views)
Mississauga dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:58 AM   #3
martelvis

martelvis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen00 View Post
Hello all,

I just got a used 30g (or might be a 29g). The silicone on the top trim must've been starting to go (or the trim was previously replaced and not silconed properly) because when I went to get it out of my car I grabbed part of the trim and it basically lifted up off the rim and cracked. It's a clean break. I checked the rest of the top trim and I can almost lift it off. I also checked the rest of the tank (bottom trim, etc.) and it seems fine but I haven't tested it with water. Supposedly it was just torn down and everything was fine with it.

Anyway... I have to remove this and either try to fix it or replace it so my questions are:
1. Removing it: I saw a youtube video where a guy was converting a tank to rimless and showed how to remove the trim by using a putty knife to break the silicone. Is this the correct way to do it?
2. Fixing it: Would I use JB Weld (or something similar) to repair it or is it better to buy new?
3. Replacing it: Where can you get these? I have been searching all over and only found places in the U.S that sell them which is not ideal. I have not yet called Big Al's but I couldn't find anything on their website (although that doesn't mean they don't sell them). I have no idea who made the tank.

Thanks!
Buying new trim seems like a waste of time and money. Just clean off the old silicone, remembering that silicone does NOT stick to silicone, so removing all the old silicone with a razor is very important. Once you apply the new silicone, replace the old trim, and then add a drop of silicone on the crack, and you are done.
martelvis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2020, 04:56 PM   #4
UsAndThem
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (11)
UsAndThem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by martelvis View Post
Buying new trim seems like a waste of time and money. Just clean off the old silicone, remembering that silicone does NOT stick to silicone, so removing all the old silicone with a razor is very important. Once you apply the new silicone, replace the old trim, and then add a drop of silicone on the crack, and you are done.
Great advice right here. this is what you need to do.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:38 AM   #5
Karen00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississauga dan View Post
There was someone on kijiji recently that was selling bulk trim. As for removing the trim and old silicone. I also watched the video you are referring to. I can't say that this is the right or wrong way to remove the top trim, but I can say that I removed the trim on my 15 gallon using his method and it worked well for me.
Thanks for this! WOW, your tank looks great!! What a difference it makes not having that trim (bottom isn't so bad but the upper is definitely a distraction). I was debating whether to just remove the rim entirely. I kept reading that up to about 50g the trim is more functional (example holds the hood) than it is structural. I might try it then fill it and leave it for a month to see how it holds. :-)

So what did you do to remove all the silicone? Is there a solvent (like Goo B Gone) or did you just scrape it off?
Old 01-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
Karen00

Quote:
Originally Posted by martelvis View Post
@martelvis and @UsAndThem. Thanks for your replies. I did not know silicone did not stick to silicone so this has helped me a lot! Should I just try to scrape it all off or is there something else to remove it. I think the guy in the video I watch just used razor blades but maybe there's a solvent that would make it cleaner and easier?
Old 01-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #7
DiscusAngels

DiscusAngels is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen00 View Post
@martelvis and @UsAndThem. Thanks for your replies. I did not know silicone did not stick to silicone so this has helped me a lot! Should I just try to scrape it all off or is there something else to remove it. I think the guy in the video I watch just used razor blades but maybe there's a solvent that would make it cleaner and easier?
solvent won't do good for the fishes later, it will leave nasty residue, just sharp razor blades and some patience
DiscusAngels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken , cracked , fix , replace , trim