Breeding Angles failed - suggestions needed - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > Breeders > Fresh Water
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Old 01-20-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
DiscusAngels

Feedback Score: (0)
DiscusAngels is on a distinguished road
Default Breeding Angles failed - suggestions needed

Hi GTA aquaria Gurus I needed some advices and suggestions please.

Raise about 8 juvenile angles to the point that 3 pairs established, was pretty happy with the matchmaking result they are in my basement with minimal traffic from my family, lights are on timer on by 8 am off by 4 pm, feeding is on auto feeder scheduled 3 times a day and I occasionally throw in some blood worms or northfin to boost their fat intake.

Then 2 pairs started to breed, 1 pair did not. Separated the pairs into a 40G and a 30G, in each tank they are planted with vals and anubias and ferns, good water parameters and feeding (blood worm and flakes). In the 6 month period both pairs breed every month or so, either lay eggs on the eheim intake pipe or anubias or vals. First couple times they ate their own eggs after day 2, so I thought maybe keep the lights on 24/7 (dimer lights at night), initially they fan the eggs guard it like a dog but after couple tries, nope did not work. They I tries removing tank mates and did not work. Finally tried manual hatching the eggs with hydrogen peroxide, was able to hatch a few like 4 or 5 but would still love to have the parents take care of the eggs themselves because manual hatching with this success rate is a ton of work with little reward.

How did you do it and what should I do? Thanks a lot in advance.
DiscusAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2020, 11:38 PM   #2
WinPhish
I'm New

Feedback Score: (0)
WinPhish is on a distinguished road

Sometimes the male doesn't fertilize the eggs properly. It takes a few spawns until they get the timing right. If the eggs are fertilized properly and they turn white one by one then you need to dose the tank with an anti fungus like meth blue the next time they spawn. They will eat the eggs if they see that they are not developing. I think if the water is acidic like their natural habitat, there is less chance of fungus killing the eggs.
WinPhish is offline   Reply With Quote