Killifish - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Freshwater Photos
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Freshwater Photos Time to show off your fish!

Old 06-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
greg
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (38)
greg has a brilliant future greg has a brilliant future greg has a brilliant future
Default Killifish

Many of gtaaquaria’s most experienced members keep killifish. Several have 50+ tanks, not including numerous smaller containers of fry. SwimmyD and I are very new to the world of killifish and our knowledge of this vast group of fish is very limited. Nevertheless we are starting this thread to share pictures of our killifish and to invite you to show off your killifish. We also look forward to some expert advice from some of the more experienced killifish breeders of the GTA.

'How-to' guides in the thread - just click on the title below
And now on to our collection!

Above are SwimmyD's pair of Blue Gularis - more officially known as Fundulopanchax sjoestedti. We got these from gtaaquaria member peterd, who specializes in breeding of many types of killifish. The blue gularis are located in our kitchen in a 10g starfire tank we picked up at AquaInspiration. Equipment is simply a sponge filter and a light which we put on for four hours per day, as the tank gets tons of indirect light. Heaters are not typically necessary for killifish!

SwimmyD will post more detailed information on their care, particularly with respect to breeding.

Also please check out the following for a great opportunity to learn more about killifish SOKS Annual Killfish Show and Barbeque

Last edited by greg; 03-17-2014 at 10:29 AM..
greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
greg
Devoted Member

greg has a brilliant future greg has a brilliant future greg has a brilliant future

Up next are our Fundulopanchax nigerianus Innidere. Did I mention many species of killifish are relatively unafraid of their keepers!!!

While many types of male killifish are intolerant of rivals, this species can be kept in larger numbers.

This tank is a 25g planted tank with pressurized CO2 injection and is part of my 145g planted tank overflow system.

Last edited by greg; 06-19-2013 at 01:11 PM..
Old 06-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
greg
Devoted Member

[/url]

These are our Aphyosemion sp. Lobaye. The second picture appears to be the dominant male while the third picture shows the other male with slightly tattered fins. They are in a 5g tank with a lot of floating hornwort to help break up sight lines.

Last edited by greg; 06-19-2013 at 10:59 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
greg
Devoted Member

Nothobranchius foerschi - two females and one male in a 5g tank. It's a bare bottom tank, no heater with a lot of floating hornwort and a sponge filter for aeration and filtration. They spawn in a small plastic container of peat.

Last edited by greg; 06-20-2013 at 12:56 PM..
Old 06-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
greg
Devoted Member

More pics on the way.

Be sure to check out SwimmyD's post on the Southern Ontario Killifish Society Annual Killifish Show and Barbeque here

Last edited by greg; 06-19-2013 at 08:38 PM..
Old 06-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
tom g
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (80)
tom g has much to be proud of tom g has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to tom g
Default killifish

awesome pics love the tanks and fish are beautiful...are killies best off in only a killi tank or can u put them in a community tank ....
where is the best place to view or see killies if I was thinking of purchasing .
cheers and thank u
tom

hippo tang , yellow tang, 1 damsel ,flame hawk (favorite ),watchman goby ,harlequin star fish (hides boring ) bi -color blenny,cleaner wrasse , bengai cardinal,twin spot goby, mandarin .
sand sifting star fish ,
elusive marine betta(MIA - shows him self periodically -boring )

in progress TBA.....project tranquility ............

90 gallon dual drilled tank with sump
vertex 100-in
2 - evergrow leds ,dual t5 48" aquatic life fixture
tom g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
greg
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom g View Post
awesome pics love the tanks and fish are beautiful...are killies best off in only a killi tank or can u put them in a community tank ....
where is the best place to view or see killies if I was thinking of purchasing .
cheers and thank u
tom
Thanks for the compliment Tom!

The SOKS Annual Killfish Show and Barbeque is taking place at a killifish breeder's house and honestly I think you could visit a dozen or more lfs and still not see the variety and quality of his collection.

I've forwarded your question about compatibility on to three of gtaaquaria's resident experts on killifish and hopefully one of them will provide a response that's much more informative than I could hope to give you
Old 06-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
Kmm

Feedback Score: (0)
Kmm will become famous soon enough
Default my Killis-so far!

Kmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
greg
Devoted Member

Default Wow!

Stunning pictures Kmm! Thanks so much for sharing.

You're in a part of the province with much harder water so I'm curious as to whether you are softening your water by adding in some RO, or are you using straight tap water?
Old 06-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
Kmm

Feedback Score: (0)
Kmm will become famous soon enough

I know! My water is so hard. I'm not currently adding RO. I discussed it with the breeder and he said it wasn't necessary because he doesn't use it. The one exception would be for the eggs, when separating them, he thought it might be a good idea to put some RO in the water so the shell doesn't get too hard.
I did acclimate them slowly...

Thats my info so far.

Last edited by Kmm; 06-19-2013 at 10:35 PM..
Kmm is offline   Reply With Quote