HELP: Bloated fish - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > MARINE AQUARIUMS > Fish and Coral
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Fish and Coral A forum dedicated to all your marine fish and coral needs.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:50 PM   #1
cichlidsam
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (9)
cichlidsam is on a distinguished road
Exclamation HELP: Bloated fish

Hi guys,

I bought a pair of small clownfish several days ago. One of them has started to get a bloated abdomen and is having difficult swimming. It's acting like it's hard to maintain its normal buoyancy. It keeps floating up and tries to swim down. I have a video but not sure how to post it here... Interestingly, another fish in a separate tank (separate filtration system) next to this one has also started to display similar symptoms.

Anyone have any idea how to treat this? They're still in QT. Today I started treating with Prazi Pro and Kanamycin. I've also dosed some epson salt (used to work for my freshwater fish...)

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by cichlidsam; 08-20-2019 at 10:08 PM..
cichlidsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 10:19 PM   #2
loonie
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (28)
loonie is on a distinguished road

Bloated stomach is due to bacterial infection, it could been there when you bought the fish. Water quality play apart too for such infection.. If you are using UV system, it might help. Just google it, there are a lot if information to read about it.
loonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:24 PM   #3
cichlidsam
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (9)
cichlidsam is on a distinguished road

Hi Loonie,

Thanks for your reply! I did Google it and there's a range of opinions. I did read about the possible bacterial infection which is why I started the Kanamycin treatment. I was hoping to get some more info from others with knowledge/experience here to see if there's anything I'm missing. Unfortunately I don't have a UV setup but can look into this if it's going to make a big difference (not sure it will at this point given the fish is already affected).
cichlidsam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2019, 11:47 PM   #4
loonie
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (28)
loonie is on a distinguished road

There is no one way solution to problems we encounter in this SW hobby. Its a daily learning experience from one another. Water quality is very important, its about chemistry etc, unlike FW its easier.

I do use UV units but its runs on timer for 12hours daily, my experience, this is to avoid clogging of salt inside the unit.

You just got to try out different methods, what works for you.
loonie is offline   Reply With Quote