Candy Canes wasting away - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > MARINE AQUARIUMS > Fish and Coral
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Fish and Coral A forum dedicated to all your marine fish and coral needs.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:38 AM   #1
Hamish

Feedback Score: (1)
Hamish is on a distinguished road
Default Candy Canes wasting away

Need some help here, gotta love those Cc or Trumpet Coral, i have a few varieties and theyre just wasting away slowly. All my perameters are good. Temp 80, Nitrate 0, Phos 2.1, ph 7.8, dkh 10, everything else in the tank is fine, LPS dominated, my sg is a bit low 1.024. Ive got them in the lower half, medium flow. What do you think?

Leathers, Frogspawn, Torch, Hammers, CC, Mushrooms, Zoas, Crotia Clam, Toxic Grn Brain, 8 Jumbo Turbos, 10 Nassarius, Banded Star, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 2Blood Shrimp, Emerald Crab, Sally lightfoot,

RO/DI, LED, T5HO, GFO, 35 gl Sump, SWC 150, 2 Phosbon RX, 2 Heaters, lots of Rock, 125 dual overflow being set up soon,
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2019, 08:25 AM   #2
cica
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (37)
cica is on a distinguished road

If your Phosphates are 2.1 ppm, that's too high.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #3
Hamish

I,m sorry, did i say 2.1. I meant .21. And thats high as we want close to zero, i put both of my reactors on GFO so i expect that to go down, i noticed this morning that my 6 headed hammer has one head that isnt great as well as my 6 headed frogspawn. I,m going to be supplementing my LED with T5HO next week.

Leathers, Frogspawn, Torch, Hammers, CC, Mushrooms, Zoas, Crotia Clam, Toxic Grn Brain, 8 Jumbo Turbos, 10 Nassarius, Banded Star, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 2Blood Shrimp, Emerald Crab, Sally lightfoot,

RO/DI, LED, T5HO, GFO, 35 gl Sump, SWC 150, 2 Phosbon RX, 2 Heaters, lots of Rock, 125 dual overflow being set up soon,

Old 05-27-2019, 06:11 AM   #4
Hamish

Last nice i got the Reef Roids out and mixed up a nice thick slurry, i turned off everything and spot fed all the coral, i dumped the rest in the tank to make a heavy thick cloud of nutrients, let it sit for half hour and then started everything but the skimmer, i,m hoping the CC bounce back and i hope i don,t losw anymore heads on my Frog or Hammers. Time will tell, i,m not giving up, we will see, The tank does look pretty awesome how it sits and i,m happy, i just wanted those damn Candy Canes to look awesome again.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
wtac
Hunh?

Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future

IMHO/E, gotta have some NO3 for LPS...at least 5mg/L or feed the corals heavily or more frequently.

I assume Ca and Mg are in check, 380-425, 1375-1450 mg/L respectively.
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:17 PM   #6
Hamish

Yes my Calcium is at 500 and Mag. 1350, i feed quite heavily, twice a day but i have atleast 150 pounds of Rock in my 75 and my fuge is full of cheato, i have a great clean up crew and have been feeding a lot of Mysis lately. Increasing nutrients might be a problem, i was using brine for awhile and was worried,

I ted the acorals last night and will again in a few days.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:35 AM   #7
Hamish

It,s worse than i thought, ive lost heads on my Frogspawns and Hammer, Blastos are dieing, the CC is hanging on slightley, i picked up two pieces of foil in the tank, must be the backing to the Mysis cubes that are fed daily. Could that have an impact on the Corals dieing?

Old 05-29-2019, 01:35 PM   #8
wtac
Hunh?

Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future

In a 75gal, the foil wont do much as aluminum has a greater solubility in acidic environments.

Turn off the skimmer and take the PB Rxs off line (or use carbon) for a week as well as cutting the photoperiod by 50%. Sometimes letting the water "grunge up" will help them bounce back.

Double check your params and calibrate the refractometer with 35ppm solution. If you are using RODI/distilled water to calibrate, your salinity will actually be higher by 0.002-0.004 compared to using 35ppm.

Sent you a PM if you need to chat to figure this out as it's faster vs this medium.
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #9
Hamish

Please close this thread, thank you