GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Blue Rams (Mikrogeophagus.ramirezi) Log

7K views 31 replies 5 participants last post by  archangelvk 
#1 · (Edited)
Brought this lil guy home yesterday and acclimated him to my 20 gallon breeder (which is currently housing my female GBR and female EBR). Trying to grow some clippings from my main tank as well (Java fern, narrow leaf ludwigia, and Hygro.polysperma)
Immediately after introducing him to my tank, the 3 fish began a flirt-fest and the new male paired off with my female GBR. Fast forward to this morning, The pair has cleaned off a piece of black slate, and the male has dug a pit. The female's egg tube in starting to extend, and she's beginning to get plump.
Happened to snap a few quick shots with my phone. I apologize for the poor quality, bad lighting and algae growing on my tank walls (camera couldn't focus). I will get better pics, once I've done some maintenance on the tank and relocate the lone female EBR. Pics really don't do justice for the pair, the colours and finnage on the male are really stunning in person. Love how high the male's dorsal ray extends, can kinda see it in picture #2 & 3.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
The male from BigAl's Mississauga, and the female from Dragon Aquarium. Selected the best looking specimens from the tanks, looked for non intensified colours, body shape, and finnage. Unfortunately I forgot to ask where the rams were from. I'll give them a call today, to check the sources.

I was originally going to buy my rams from Finatics, as they're the best guys to get cichlids from in Sauga. Still planning to head there to grab a few pairs of GBRs and EBRs.

I might get in contact with Oliver from Below Water to see if I can get some wild pairs or a group.

Hope my current pair doesn't turn out to be infertile (fingers crossed).

#10 · (Edited)
Went to feed the pair this morning and noticed all the eggs were gone...

What I saw instead was the male guarding a clusters of wigglers in the pit he dug at the back of their tank :D
Not exactly sure how many there were, but my initial count of their nest was about 180-200. Will continue to give the pair their privacy and see if they can raise the fry to free swimmers. They seem to have gotten switching shifts down pretty well.
Keep you guys updated.

#12 ·
Checked up on the pair and their fry earlier this morning, while I was feeding them, and things are progressing quite well. The cluster hasn't decreased in size, so I guess the parents (primarily the mom) hasn't been snacking on their babies. The parents really seem to be getting good at caring for their fry, surprised and happy that it took them only 2 attempts (fingers crossed that they continue getting better)

The wigglers are becoming more active, startling to roll and bounce a little. 3 more days until they start free swimming, or so I hope.

As always, I keep everyone posted

#13 · (Edited)
Another morning update: The fry are starting to jump/wiggle around a lot more, and the parents have relocated them to a larger/wider pit they dug. The pit also happens to be directly under my java fern, which is now uprooted. Guess the roots will help serve as shelter and security.

Will update everyone again tomorrow morning :)

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks Clem.

Maybe I'll try artificially hatching with their next batch. Right now I want my pair to gain experience raising the fry themselves, and so for so good. It's been quite interesting watching the pair go through the rearing process: courting, digging pits,spawning, taking turns guarding and fanning, and corralling and transferring the fry together.
I also thought it was cool how my female gathered food to feed my male, when he didn't want to leave the nest.
The fry should be free swimming in 1-2 more days.

Will keep everyone posted :)

#16 ·
Rams are really bad parents, but the odd pair can remember how to parent raise , but they are all captive , tank raised and you are lucky indeed to get them to parent raise.
I have some nice Rams from Mike's at Finnatics about two months now and they have spawned, but water parameters not rite at the time for fertilization of the eggs, not an easy fish to breed. Now my Rams have stalled since putting them in a new of their own. I have talked to breeders on the subject, but I think you got lucky when you bought them from different stores, I live not to far from either.
Pm me if you would like to chat or meet up, we can share experiences!😉

Clem

#17 · (Edited)
Rams are really bad parents, but the odd pair can remember how to parent raise , but they are all captive , tank raised and you are lucky indeed to get them to parent raise.
I have some nice Rams from Mike's at Finnatics about two months now and they have spawned, but water parameters not rite at the time for fertilization of the eggs, not an easy fish to breed. Now my Rams have stalled since putting them in a new of their own. I have talked to breeders on the subject, but I think you got lucky when you bought them from different stores, I live not to far from either.
Pm me if you would like to chat or meet up, we can share experiences!��

Clem
I was actually planning to grab some pairs from Mike at Finatics, but my pair spawned so I held off. Currently cycling some new tanks. Planning to to get some quality ram pairs shipped up from the States later this month-September, but maybe I'll stop by Finatics first to see what Mike has (always has awesome cichlids/fish and deals :D ). Interested in getting some wilds in the future too.

#18 ·
Sounds good, I was at Finnatics earlier today but had to leave to pick up someone, but I may go back tomorrow if I have time.
Wilds would be cool, but water parameters for them are different, since most Rams sold are tap raised, but if you buy wilds the seller has to prepare them for shipment if they are from South America, good luck to you.

Clem

#24 ·
Fed and checked on the parents and their fry this morning, and things are going very well. The fry are all feeding (starting to see their bellies turn white from the microworms, and poop trails behind them haha), and becoming more independent (went from a cloud that followed the parents, to swimming across the length and height of the tank).

Was hesitant about doing a water change yesterday, because the sensitivity of the fry, but using a drip line to top off the tank worked out. Took about 3-4 hours to complete.

Will update again later this evening.

#25 ·
Fed and checked on the rams just a moment ago, and some of the fry are beginning to starting to wonder around the tank (hiding in and nipping at my cabomba.carolinia and Myriophyllum.scabratum).
The parents seem to have a hard time trying to keep their school of fry together. Once a group of fry leave the school, the parents chase after them to bring them back, but as soon as they do, they have to go catch the ones they left behind haha.
On another note, the fry seem to have doubled in size compared to yesterday :)

#30 ·
Well looks like my fry have become bored of feeding on microworms. Tried feeding them today and they completely ignored them. They seem more interested in nipping at my plants and the surface of my substrate.
Decided to make powdered fry food by finely grinding Northfin Krill Gold 1mm pellets. The fry seem eager to eat the stuff, but it sinks too fast, and the fry aren't big enough to take baby brineshrimp yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.