GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Let's try this again: ADA 60P Journal

17K views 59 replies 13 participants last post by  vraev 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I made a planted tank nearly 6y ago and had to tear it down immediately (a couple of months) due to family issues. I still love planted tanks and watch too many planted tank videos and always resisted re-starting one up. Last year, I bought a tank and light here from Ryan and it has been used for growing some carnivorous plants, until finally, this week, I decided to re-try a high tech planted tank. I am planning on doing a dry start with Montecarlo and elocharis hair grass mini. This is one bag of aqua soil (9L) and I am contemplating whether I should open up the second bag, or use some colorado sand. I want to make a strong hardscape that I will enjoy for a while to come. I couldn't justify spending a lot for stones and ended up buying "landscape" stones from Big Als. Looks pretty good if I may say so. What do you think?

My goal is a Lush green HC or Monte Carlo carpet with grass in between giving the sense of scale. I want a bright red focal plant at the back/center in between the rocks (should I get bigger rocks?) The livestock I want to have is again very specific : oto cats, siamese algae eaters, Amano shrimp, celestial pearl danios, chili rasbora and at least a couple of Dario Dario.

Which of these ideas do you guys like best? Any other suggestions on rearrangement?

Thanks

V

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Thanks @coldmantis. Will try it out. I might do what you are suggesting and just flood it early too.

Nice to hear from you Ryan. I wish I had followed through and got your Twinstar S. That would have been perfect for those high light plants. But looking forward to seeing this tank shine.

I just got some new rock from Jesse here on the forum.. will be trying some new designs tonight.

#9 ·
Hey guys,

Got some new stones, made a new layout. There is a subtle difference in between the two options. I really like the main stone's flow and I think it will fit very well with a swept layout. The first is me just laying them on the substrate, while the second required some mighty balancing to get it stable. Hopefully it doesn't fall and crack the glass.

other views of the 2nd..

What do you guys think?

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks Ryan. Here is the fully planted aquascape. Now to wait. I am seeing quite a bit of Monte Carlo melt though.

I need a CO2 setup. Anyone knows where I can get a 5lb or a 2lb CO2 cylinder and an appropriate CO2 regulator with a needle valve? In the past I used a Milwakee dual stage regulator. But I got the tank at aquainspiration (whom you guys know is out of business).

Definitely need to get new clear tubing for the filter (Eheim 2215). I also had to cut the outflow tube to fit in this tank. Overall the Eheim 2215 was worth going for the increased flow. I like the swaying action of the plants now..and that is pretty much on full. I also need glass lily pipes. Why is everything so expensive now? even on eBay? I used to get a beetle counter and lily pipes each under 15-20$ for cal aqua pieces. Does anyone have any suggestions for decent quality glassware? Is the Jardli lily pipes good quality and good countours for sending flow around the tank?

Just checked my NH3 levels yesterday. Seems like I have a week or more to wait before I can start dropping in some Amano Shrimp.

#20 ·
Thanks. I got mine at BigAls too. Fingers crossed.

With regards to CO2, I was looking into a UNS mini CO2 regulator and a 24oz paintball tank. How long do you think that tank would last for this tank?
Hmm I did a write up I think on GTAA in regards to paintball tanks many many years ago. Too lazy to look for it but if I recall when I used paintball tanks 24oz running at 1bps would last around 4-6 months if running at 2bps maybe 3 months. I was running it around 3 bps on my 40g breeder and I think it lasted around a month to 1.5 months. Here is a tip for you most paintball places don't fill the tank properly if they do not weight it before and after I would run away (or bring your own digital scale lol). I can't tell you how many times I have refilled a paintball tank only for it to die a few days later since it wasn't filled properly.

#23 ·
Definitely. I am trying to find a set somewhere. I cannot find any that isn't ridiculously priced. Furthermore, I can only find Jardli ones on amazon...and the set price is crazy compared to individual lily pipes. I found a decent price on amazon.com, so I might go for that.

I mean ADA ones are quality and demand their price...but it is so expensive. It is also hard to ID which third party lily pipes are decent quality. Not to mention, I am torn between which shape I need to get.. I don't want the regular pipe to wash the soil away from the opposite corner of the tank, especially since things are stacked up on the right side. I need to ensure the arrangement can move the water around without any dead spots.

#22 ·
Thanks for the insight man. That sounds alright. I will try to take a scale with me. lol

I don't have much space so I'd rather choose a small cylinder for this tank. Not to mention, this is the only tank I have, so I think a 5 or 10lbs cylinder will be overkill and too cluttered. I am trying to do a minimal ADA setup as much as possible. I'm planning on ordering the regulator from here: https://www.natureaquascapes.com/products/uns-mini-co2-regulator-single-gauge

this would be the tank : https://www.amazon.ca/Empire-Paintb...A22T8NYKY89&psc=1&refRID=R6GJZBP8CA22T8NYKY89

I am also going to try and find a UNS paintball adapter for the regulator.

#25 ·
I used 1.5 x 9L bags of normal type Amazonia with a little bit of powder on top. Got the soil from Angelfins.

I was away for the last few days and came back to a pleasant sight of progress in the tank. I also bought a couple of nice upgrades for the tank (DOOA lily outflow) .. (still need a good inflow)...and the glass cover.

The Vietnam H'ra is growing. I also started dosing with iron/flourish excel/tropica advanced nutrition.

Excitingly, the wallichi is also growing.

#28 ·
Looks really great! I want to try R. Wallichii one day, just havn't gotten around to it. I know it's too late but have you thought about stainless steel inflow/outflow with a built in surface skimmer? That way you wont have to worry about cleaning the lily pipes as much and can remove that unsightly skimmer.

Keep the updates coming, its nice to see another journal on here.

#29 ·
Thank you very much guys. :)

lol... 4 days after that video, the R. Wallichi is all covered with green algae.. The CO2 tank had a leak,...completely emptied in 3 days and the tank was full of algae. I think my bioload is pretty high and my feeding/lighting/other parameters are not in balance yet.

Yes! I am now more than ever considering the stainless steel lily pipes. My only concern is the flow level. Already flow seems pretty high in my tank with the 2215... I don’t know if the outflow for the steel pipes will make it too much for my fish?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.