Hamilton Spring Auction & Show - Page 3 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > GREATER TORONTO AREA MARKETPLACE > GTA CLUBS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Old 03-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #21
Scotmando

Feedback Score: (64)
Scotmando is a splendid one to behold Scotmando is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee_D View Post
Just ten more days till the Auction.

Were you able to get hold of Obama?

Lee
10 days... can't wait.

whats everyone bringing?
Scotmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #22
fishead
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (16)
fishead has a spectacular aura about

Not sure on the auction part yet as I will be showing lots of fish so they get packed first. But I will be showing in the Guppy Male, Female, Swordtail, Killifish, Rainbows, Dwarf Cichlid, Family Livebearer and Family Egglayer classes. So I have lots of fish to get ready for the show.
fishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #23
bob123
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (3)
bob123 is just really nice

Looking forward to this since Nov. 2012 since end of last auction in Peel
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #24
Fishfur
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (70)
Fishfur is a glorious beacon of light

Where do I look to find out what the classes are ? I've been on the site, all I can find are the show entry forms and tags.. but no list of classes or what is eligible for a class ?
Help please !
Old 03-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #25
SignGuy

Feedback Score: (6)
SignGuy is on a distinguished road

Found this after a bit of hunting on the front page of HDAS.ca but you do need to scroll down a bit. It seems this has been ommited from the actual event page.

There are 31 Classes
1. Anabantids (other than Betta splendens)
2. Betta splendens Half Moon male
3. Betta splendens, All other forms, male
4. Betta splendens female
5. Guppy male
6. Guppy female
7. killifish
8. Corydoras, Brochis, Aspidoras, Scleromastyx
9. Suckermouth Catfish
10. A.O.V. Catfish
11. Characins
12. Minnows and Rainbowfish
13. Barbs
14. Sharks and Loaches
15. Swordtails
16. Platies and Variatus
17. A.O.V. Livebearer
18. Goldfish and Koe
19. Any Other Variety
20. Angels and Discus
21. Dwarf Cichlids (not rift lake)
22. Rift Lake Cichlids
23. A.O.V. Cichlids
24. Invertebrates/Aquatic Animals
25. Junior Class
26. Family Class Egglayer
27. Family Class Livebearer
28. Plants
29. Novelty
30. Arts and Crafts
31. Photography Prints

Major Awards

Best in Show
Best Livebearer
Best Egglayer
Best Aggregate
People’s Choice
SignGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #26
Fishfur
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (70)
Fishfur is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks.. so they are almost all for fishes.. only the one for inverts ? That's a shame. But maybe I'll take my odd looking Bamboo shrimp. It's got the darndest markings on the shell, spots, more or less. Only one I've ever seen like it.

I have at least two species of kuhli type loach that I suspect are not very common, but so far have not been able to ID either one of them. Do they have to be correctly IDd to be shown ?

And since I have never even been to a show like this, how are fish shown ? What is 'aggregate ' ?

Do you bring a tank and if so, what's the size limit and can there be anything else in the tank.. such as wood for a shrimp to hold onto, or for a loach to hide under ? Places to plug in a pump or filter ? Oi, the stuff I don't know !!!

Last edited by Fishfur; 03-14-2013 at 06:49 PM..
Fishfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #27
bob123
Devoted Member

Tanks are to be your own, size to fit the size of fish or plant or invert to be shown. Tanks are to be bare except where a plant is attached to wood or stone. Heaters, filters not usually allowed but air stones are permitted. All tanks must have a lid that can be removed by the judges for the purpose of judging. I hope this helps. I am also showing see you there. Yes the correct ID of spieces are needed but there are people to help with ID. Aggregate is the total number of points to the individual show person.

Last edited by bob123; 03-14-2013 at 08:24 PM..
Old 03-15-2013, 03:41 AM   #28
Jackson
JAX

Feedback Score: (54)
Jackson is a splendid one to behold Jackson is a splendid one to behold

So how do people keep their water safe for their fish? Do they bring along extra water and how can you keep it heated if you're showing warm water fish?

Sounds extremely risky!
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:32 AM   #29
bettaforu
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (49)
bettaforu has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up

I will be of course showing Bettas 7 of them 4 x swords, and 1 cherry barb. I use small reptile containers with the attached lids/w handles on them you get them in Petsmart,PJ,BAs for around $5.99 each.

I use my Beanie Boxes for the Bettas (had these for years) and have also used my Marina breeder box too, as long as the one side is flat and clear for the judge to see properly, you can usually use any type of container....bring something to put across the top so the fish don't jump out...plastic craft mesh is a good one, cut it to size.

If you don't know the actual name, there are people at the show that are experts and will guide you on that.

I usually just bring my bucket for water, some conditioner, net, paper towels for mop ups etc. Don't feed fish the day before so they don't poop a lot as the tank/container needs to be kept clean for the judges.

Be early...it does take a while to set things up, so the earlier you get there, the more time you can have to make sure your fish is being shown to its best. Most fish will be stressed, no doubt about that, but usually they can handle it...try to keep them calm as possible, maybe in the dark till you get them there. I usually have a dark bag around my Bettas so they are tricked into thinking its still sleep time. they wake up fast enough when they see the competition

The facility is pretty warm, so even warm water fish like Angels/Cichlids etc can handle a little drop in temp for a few hours.

See you all there
Old 03-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #30
bob123
Devoted Member

I show many different fish mostly warm water, from the time I start collecting them from my tanks until I put them back in the tanks that night is usually 12 hours and I have only had one fatality. It takes me a while to get all fish caught bagged and loaded in the car as I take about 30 fish to the shows. If your fish is healthy there will not be a problem. Hoping to see some of you at the shows this year.