Peel Regional Aquarium Club Annual Auction - Page 2 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > GREATER TORONTO AREA MARKETPLACE > GTA CLUBS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Old 10-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
rush2112

Feedback Score: (7)
rush2112 is on a distinguished road

I can foresee some problems.
-What happens when there are more people than chairs to be seated? Those who stand can't bid.
-It will be pretty crowded around the tables when seated bidders get up to view items with 15 mins to see them.
- What happens when, for example, only 2 people are left bidding and then both drop their hands at the same time? Who wins?.....maybe you have to go up to the booth for instant replay lol.

There might be other issues.
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
Scotmando

Feedback Score: (64)
Scotmando is a splendid one to behold Scotmando is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112 View Post
I can foresee some problems.
-What happens when there are more people than chairs to be seated? Those who stand can't bid.
There will be plenty of seats & lots of room. We have a new floor plan set-up at the Legion.
Quote:
-It will be pretty crowded around the tables when seated bidders get up to view items with 15 mins to see them.
Last year's PRAC Auction was pretty crowded as well and it was our best auction ever!

Again, we have a new set-up for the floor plan & there will be more room allotted to the auction in general.

Quote:
- What happens when, for example, only 2 people are left bidding and then both drop their hands at the same time? Who wins?.....maybe you have to go up to the booth for instant replay lol.
This 'card-up' style of bidding has been used before at other club auctions on the really hot items.

Well, if both bidder drop at the same?
One of the bidder will claim the item. I've seen this happen before.

Hmmm..... I do like your idea on the 'Instant Replay' though! LoL.

Quote:
There might be other issues.
What other issues would you like to discuss?
Scotmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
rush2112

rush2112 is on a distinguished road

Hey...this system sounds interesting. Maybe it's better. We'll see.

Other points.....

Realistically nothing will go for $2 unless only one person bids. As soon as a minimum of two people are involved the price will be at least $3.

Suppose nobody shows interest in an item. Will the auctioneer call out first person to put their hand up gets it for $2.

Not sure but it could get disruptive with people constantly standing up to walk over to a transaction table to pay for their item.

Someone has to bring the item over to that pay table anyway. Why can't you have runners as usual collect the money from buyers at their seats.
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
eatmysox
Devoted Member

eatmysox is on a distinguished road

I am still debating on attending this event. I enjoy auctions immensely but the auction is only part of the reason for going. I personally really enjoy getting to see other hobbyists and talking with them. I agree this new system makes it a more efficient but it ruins much of the social aspect of these events. For this reason alone I have go consider coming as both a buyer and a seller.

Just my .02

Sent from my tube on the lazy river
Old 10-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
Scotmando

Quote:
Hey...this system sounds interesting. Maybe it's better. We'll see.
Montreal & some American Fish Clubs use this system & they're auctions are a lot shorter, time-wise than ours, & with more items going through. So a 1000 item auction can be done in 5 hours or so & with regular breaks every 3rd table.

Quote:
Other points.....

Realistically nothing will go for $2 unless only one person bids. As soon as a minimum of two people are involved the price will be at least $3.

Suppose nobody shows interest in an item. Will the auctioneer call out first person to put theirs hand up gets it for $2.
Auctioneers discretion or its a 'no-sale'.

Quote:
Not sure but it could get disruptive with people constantly standing up to walk over to a transaction table to pay for their item.

Someone has to bring the item over to that pay table anyway. Why can't you have runners as usual collect the money from buyers at their seats.
A runner will bring you a bag-tag & you go up to pay & collect your fish/item. Simple. Same as a runner going to the Cashier, except you get to stretch your legs. LOL.

I dunno know how many fish auctions you've been to, but I've been to one that dragged on for over 8hrs! As a seller, myself, that's just torture especially if there's a better, faster system out there.

It's a proven system & it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmysox View Post
I am still debating on attending this event. I enjoy auctions immensely but the auction is only part of the reason for going. I personally really enjoy getting to see other hobbyists and talking with them. I agree this new system makes it a more efficient but it ruins much of the social aspect of these events. For this reason alone I have go consider coming as both a buyer and a seller.

Just my .02

Sent from my tube on the lazy river
I really do enjoy your company! Honestly! LOL. Except, of course, when you're bidding on the stuff I am. Remember, 'No friends at an auction'.

I don't really think you can say the social will be any different with a new format. Same players, just a few good changes.

I think you'll come. Take it all in & go back to KWAS with a 'Why didn't we think of that' attitude. Come on down. We wanna see your stuff here & have a few laughs.

Change is the only constant in life. Use it to your advantage & you are the winner.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #16
bob123
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (3)
bob123 is just really nice

I as well think that if the runner is bringing you a tag why not bring the fish. If I'm up out of my seat paying for a bag of fish I will be unable to bid on the next item up for auction and if there is a waiting time at the cashier table I may miss a couple of items. Other than that it sounds interesting.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
vandiscus

Feedback Score: (-1)
vandiscus is on a distinguished road
Default Discus?

Is there any interest in Discus at the auction? I would love to have some of my fish at the auction.
vandiscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #18
Scotmando

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
I as well think that if the runner is bringing you a tag why not bring the fish. If I'm up out of my seat paying for a bag of fish I will be unable to bid on the next item up for auction and if there is a waiting time at the cashier table I may miss a couple of items. Other than that it sounds interesting.
Hey, it's part of the auction format & we'll see how it goes. We're learning new things here & we'll see how it goes.

If you're purchasing multiple lots in a row, you can stay seated, buy & hang onto your tags & go to the Cashier when your finished your buying frenzy.

Just a Note: We are going to have the upcoming next 20 items on an overhead screen, so you'll know what's up for auction at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiscus View Post
Is there any interest in Discus at the auction? I would love to have some of my fish at the auction.
There's discus in each auction and quality always gets a good price. Bring some. We'd love to see yours.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #19
bob123
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (3)
bob123 is just really nice

At some auctions Discus are in demand while at others not so much. It also depends on the quality of the Discus that is up for auction.

Scott the idea of a screen showing upcoming items is a good idea.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #20
fishead
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (16)
fishead has a spectacular aura about

there seems to be a bit of confusion on the bag tag. A runner does not bring you a bag tag. the bag goes to the cashier table where you pay for it and pick up your bag. The tag is split at this table one part stays with the bag the second part is kept as a record for data entry. Hope that clears things up.

Changes are tough for everyone and we will do everything we can to help make the changes as smooth as possible. Any quesitons please ask.

As for socializing I think it will be much easier as you will know exactly when the items are coming up for sale that you want. Remember you get both a list and the items coming up will be on a screen. So you will not miss that item you really wanted ever again. When your not bidding you can socialize.

for your Discus you are more than welcome to bring some for auction and if you are worried about price you can put a minimum bid on your item when you pre register your fish. It is printed right onto the label. We also do not charge extra for minimum bids, or mailing out cheques to sellers.

for anyone thinking about not attending because they are worried about the changes it is your choice but you will be missing out on some unique and rare fish/plants that will be available both in the auction and in the raffles. I will be posting a list this weekend of them.

See everyone there
fishead is offline   Reply With Quote