AC20 stopped working. Help help ASAP! - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Equipment Tanks, stands, heaters, filters, and all your favourite aquarium hardware in one place. Discuss.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:14 AM   #1
AquaNeko
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (9)
AquaNeko has a spectacular aura about
Default AC20 stopped working. Help help ASAP!

So the AC20 was powering the water a little on the slow flow side so I unplugged it while I cleaned the pre-filter as that was gunked up. After I cleaned the pre-filter I put the intake tube back on the AC20 then plugged the power back in. Odd, the pump did not start sucking water in.

I did not hear it chugging so I thought why not pour some water in to prime it like I normally do and maybe the motor would kick up. I poured water into the intake area and still the motor did not kick up. Now I'm curious WTF is wrong with it.

Never had this issue before. I checked my media basket and the floss was at ~20% filled up so it was still good with water flow.

Any ideas on what to check/test? I thought maybe the pump overheated because of the more effort needed to pump the water in from the clogged up pre-filter. Right now I used a garlic mesh bag to put the basket media in and soaking it inside the 10gal right now. Thankfully I have the trusty and hard to fail DIY sponge filter which I turned up the air on to compensate for the downed power filter.

Thakns in advance.

Want to buy:

-Lid for Hagen 5.5gal that uses screw in CFL bulbs. PM me if you have one. (Jan-21-2010, will remove when I've found one)

Too frigging hot!! You heat fans enjoy it while you can. Can't wait till fall and winter. :boiling:

Pirate Party Radio. The offical radio show of the Pirate Party of Canada and Pirate Party of USA.
Quote:
Privacy, Net Neutrality, Copyright Reform, Free Speech, Open Government.
AquaNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
AquaNeko
Devoted Member

WTF!? It automagically came back alive when I was not there. I was just going to check on the plant condition as I dosed 1mL in there today and the AC20 was running.

I took the media pack out of the water and into a tray then turned the AC20 off. I took the media basket and put it into the AC20 and plugged it into the power plug and bam the unit was alive again.

Odd... I was thinking it could have been the over heating due to the clogged prefilter that heated up the motor and probably kicked in a thermo protection circuit and a set time delay/temp before the circuit would open the motor to work again. I was using a scrub pad to keep the AC20 semi level with the 10gal as I was told the leveling tab or something was missing when I got the tank.

I'll be keeping the ad in the buy and sell for a week just to make sure this is ok first then move it to the expired if this works.

Want to buy:

-Lid for Hagen 5.5gal that uses screw in CFL bulbs. PM me if you have one. (Jan-21-2010, will remove when I've found one)

Too frigging hot!! You heat fans enjoy it while you can. Can't wait till fall and winter. :boiling:

Pirate Party Radio. The offical radio show of the Pirate Party of Canada and Pirate Party of USA.
Quote:
Old 02-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
crxmaniac
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (8)
crxmaniac is on a distinguished road

it's possible a little piece of something got clogged in the actual impeller. Next time its being cleaned or stops working take the intake off, pull the basket and pull up the little grey cover and pull the impeller out and give it a good clean.
crxmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
gucci17
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (13)
gucci17 is just really nice

I've got one that needs to be jump started each time. Kind of annoying but it works. All you have to do is get a skinny screw driver and tap the impellar to get it going. Try it next time.
gucci17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
kaegunim

Feedback Score: (2)
kaegunim is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gucci17 View Post
I've got one that needs to be jump started each time. Kind of annoying but it works. All you have to do is get a skinny screw driver and tap the impellar to get it going. Try it next time.
+1

It has only happed once (due to gunk buildup admittedly) but flicking the impeller will get it going.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
AquaNeko
Devoted Member

Hmm.. jsut curious but what solution can I run the AC20 in stand alone that will eventually kill off all the gunk in there? Obviously I'll be taking out the media when I do this to preserve the cultures in there. I was thinking probably a small bucket with bleach and run it for a week but want some feedback on that idea.

Want to buy:

Quote:
Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #7
Riceburner
Want a pic?

Feedback Score: (44)
Riceburner is just really nice

use a cotton swab and wipe the inside of the chamber and a toothbrush to clean the impeller. Rinse.
Riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote