fantasy 75G setup - Page 2 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Cichlids
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Cichlids Discus, angelfish, oscars, lake, african/american, etc.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #11
solarz
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (59)
solarz is a splendid one to behold solarz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by conix67 View Post
If you switch to SW, you'll be able to manage your tanks better because you'll end up clearing out all but one - just one SW tank.
There's also the fact that FW has more incompatible requirements, meaning you need separate tanks for a lot of things.

Cichlids, planted community, shrimps, etc.
solarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2016, 08:38 AM   #12
aspiro

Feedback Score: (4)
aspiro is on a distinguished road

MTS for sure :/

Really I only have 3 display tanks (including the new 75g), the other tanks a part of a hap/peacock breading system.

I love my AC's but have always had a thing for SW (just never ventured there).

If I were to go SW (like reef), and I'm not saying that I am would you guys say its better to start with a 75G, 120G? Obviously cost would be a factor, but I'm thinking more of the learning curb.
aspiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #13
conix67
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (75)
conix67 is a name known to all

If you're not into having large fishes, I'd go with 75G which is far more manageable. The upkeep cost of reef tank needs to be considered seriously.

You also want to be wise in equipment selection. There are tons that are considered high end but with marginally better performance, if any, and I believe those are waste of money. I'd look at what people use in successful tanks and get ideas from it.

Old 10-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #14
aspiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by conix67 View Post
If you're not into having large fishes, I'd go with 75G which is far more manageable. The upkeep cost of reef tank needs to be considered seriously.

You also want to be wise in equipment selection. There are tons that are considered high end but with marginally better performance, if any, and I believe those are waste of money. I'd look at what people use in successful tanks and get ideas from it.
Great tips conix67, thanks. How much daily/weekly attention do you need to put in? I work mainly from home so my schedule is somewhat flexible, but some days i barely have enough time to eat.

Right now, I besides feeding and taking care of the odd problem here and there, I basically just spend a friday or saturday morning with maintenance on my fw tanks.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #15
conix67
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (75)
conix67 is a name known to all

Once it's established, regular maintenance wouldn't be so bad. Weekly water change (one bucket), skimmer/glass cleaning, and ATO container fill up are the only regular maintenance I perform weekly.

There are other maintenance tasks that wouldn't be required on a weekly basis, that you can schedule to those periods when you have more time to spare.

A good controller will also help minimizing maintenance tasks and I'd say at least a basic controller is a must.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #16
aspiro

Ok, I think that you all may have convinced me. I am going spend the winter researching and planning for a reef tank.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #17
willijack
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (21)
willijack is on a distinguished road

Good for you, bro. Now I have some company.

I have a converted FW 30g tank that I've being cycling for about 3 weeks now. A birthday present to myself so the 1st fish goes in next week. .

But yesterday I bought a 100g, complete with a 40g sump. I'm in way above my head now..... I'm going to clean up everything and start getting the stuff like sand and rocks for it.

Then when I think it's ready, I'll transfer the 30g over. Hurry up and join me...
willijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:48 AM   #18
Atzau
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (7)
Atzau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiro View Post
Ok, I think that you all may have convinced me. I am going spend the winter researching and planning for a reef tank.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
hahaha, it didn't seem like you needed much convincing!
Atzau is offline   Reply With Quote