Why do people say you should not mix Lab species in a tank? - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Cichlids
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Cichlids Discus, angelfish, oscars, lake, african/american, etc.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
jsic37
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (0)
jsic37 is on a distinguished road
Default Why do people say you should not mix Lab species in a tank?

Often when I talk with other hobbyists, particularly those who favour Mbuna cichlids, I get mixed answers about the "dos" and "donts" .

Why shouldn't you mix Labidochromis species in a Mbuna tank? Some people who do a show tank say they have mixed a variety of males with no issue and some even mix both sexes with different species ( shockingly enough that person swears he has never had hybrid spawning) what does GTA think about mixing or NOT mixing Mbunas?
jsic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #2
bonzai00
I'm New

Feedback Score: (0)
bonzai00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsic37 View Post
Often when I talk with other hobbyists, particularly those who favour Mbuna cichlids, I get mixed answers about the "dos" and "donts" .

Why shouldn't you mix Labidochromis species in a Mbuna tank? Some people who do a show tank say they have mixed a variety of males with no issue and some even mix both sexes with different species ( shockingly enough that person swears he has never had hybrid spawning) what does GTA think about mixing or NOT mixing Mbunas?
Labs tend to cross breed more than any other species. In all male tanks its not a problem but when mixing males with females its best to reduce the chances of hybridization.
bonzai00 is offline   Reply With Quote