Daffodil Brichardi & Julidochromis - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Cichlids
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Cichlids Discus, angelfish, oscars, lake, african/american, etc.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
RCShevalier
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (1)
RCShevalier is on a distinguished road
Default Daffodil Brichardi & Julidochromis

I've got a fifty gallon aquarium that is currently set up as a community tank, but I am hoping to take down this set up and start from scratch. I've never kept cichlids before but am excited to try something new.

I was in Finatics today and really liked the looks of the Daffodil Brichardi. Does anyone have any advice regarding this species? Would they be compatible with the various Julidochromis species? If so, how many of each species would work in a twenty gallon.

I'd appreciate any tips on either of these species. How should the aquarium be decorated, etc.

Also, I currently have a clown pleco in the tank and was wondering if he would survive in the new set up or not.
RCShevalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
simko
I'm New

Feedback Score: (0)
simko is on a distinguished road

I really would warn against this...

I keep a breeding pair of N. pulcher (almost the same as brichardi) and once they paired up, they MURDERED everything else in the tank, this included other pulchers, multis and a catfish. This was in a 4' long 33 gallon tank. Now i have the mating pair and a swarm of fry, i really think they would kill the julidochromis.
simko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
elbereth

Feedback Score: (4)
elbereth is on a distinguished road

Can't offer any advice but I'd be curious to hear about your experience if you do try to keep those two species together. Or can anyone else chip in with their experiences?
I'm rearing some J.marlieri juveniles in hopes of getting a mating pair and I'd like to add another species or two to their tank. For those of us with limited space, its hard to devote an entire tank to just two fish!
elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2018, 07:57 AM   #4
martelvis

Feedback Score: (0)
martelvis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCShevalier View Post
I've got a fifty gallon aquarium that is currently set up as a community tank, but I am hoping to take down this set up and start from scratch. I've never kept cichlids before but am excited to try something new.

I was in Finatics today and really liked the looks of the Daffodil Brichardi. Does anyone have any advice regarding this species? Would they be compatible with the various Julidochromis species? If so, how many of each species would work in a twenty gallon.

I'd appreciate any tips on either of these species. How should the aquarium be decorated, etc.

Also, I currently have a clown pleco in the tank and was wondering if he would survive in the new set up or not.
I have kept both species, and can tell you from many years of fish keeping these fish are killers, once they pair up. Once a pair, they will be the only ones left in the tank, regardless of tank size. A pair is best in a 10 gallon by themselves. I know it is very tempting to keep a group, as they are very nice looking fish, but you will be sorry in the end.
martelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #5
elbereth

Not to disparage your experience, but I've come some sources that say a J. marlieri is best kept in a community tank because even small changes in a small tank could stress the fish and cause the pair to turn on each other. But the other species must use a different niche, i.e. not rock. Perhaps individual fish differ in their personality.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
elbereth

@RCShevalier: You might be interested in this cichlid compatibility chart: https://visual.ly/community/infograp...tibility-chart
It doesn't recommend keeping Daffodils and Julies together but there's at least three genera that are compatible with Daffodils.