RSR failures - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > MARINE AQUARIUMS > Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Equipment Discuss your salt water equipment needs here.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:04 PM   #1
homy77

Feedback Score: (14)
homy77 has a spectacular aura about
Default RSR failures

Anyone been seeing all these red sea reefer failures on the red sea group on facebook?

For the amount of money they're charging I think it unacceptable for there to be this many happening where tanks are bursting at the bottom seams

Anyone here had this happen?

I was considering getting one of these one day but now....

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
homy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
wtac
Hunh?

Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future

Not a fan of larger prefab aquariums WITHOUT a bottom EuroBrace (EB). Neither a fan of rimless as 1) water overspill from algae scraping at the waterline and 2) use minimal glass thickness and the bow in the glass causes stress on the seam.

The RedSea seams are beautiful as they don't use an inner corner silicone seam...just like Jewel Aquariums of days gone by.

IF you really like the look of the RSR systems, spend the extra $ on a custom to the specs you want, bottom EB, thicker glass if you want rimless or top EB with std thickness.

The stands are epoxy coated particle board. Sexy and clean and all but makes my nerves shiver assembling it...LOL Silicone seal the cut ends and assemble or they will swell over time with spillage. Spend the $ and have a custom metal stand that fits the bottom perimeter and clad the stand with epoxy coated marine plywood/MDF.

Overall it will cost at least 20% more than a RSR system but cheaper in the long and significantly stronger structurally and durable finish.

JM2C
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:46 AM   #3
notclear
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (89)
notclear is on a distinguished road

Is it only the XXL750 has issue?
NEW: 108G Red Sea Reefer XL525 (59"x22.6"x22"), 31G Sump, Sunpole Magnus DC6000 Return Pump, 2 x Maxspect Gyre FX330, Bubble Magus Curve A8 DC Skimmer with Neck Cleaner and AutoAqua Smart Skimmer Security, Maxspect RSX 300W LED, 2 x Reef Brite XHO, 2 x Klir Filters, Apex Classic Controller, Neptune AFS, Vertex Puratek Deluxe RO/DI, 2 x Eheim Jager 150W Heaters, 2 x Phosban Reactors.

WAS: 160G (72"x22"x23.5"), 2 x 15G Sumps
notclear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2019, 05:34 PM   #4
wtac
Hunh?

Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future

From what I gather it is mostly the 750 series.

Perhaps the same issue of Oceanic bowfronts back in the day with a "bad batch of silicone". From what I remember of the Oceanics, the MFG dates on the stickers spanned over 2 years from the leakers so I call BS on that...LOL
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
Rookie2013
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (10)
Rookie2013 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by notclear View Post
Is it only the XXL750 has issue?
Yes i think so...i have not seen or heard about any other models..

New IM50 Lagoon Build: https://gtaaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313857

17G Fragtank Build and my DISPLAY Thread: https://www.gtaaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211922
Rookie2013 is offline   Reply With Quote