My first reef setup - Page 2 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > MARINE AQUARIUMS > Marine Photography
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Marine Photography Show us your stuff! Post pictures of your tanks here.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #11
Sandeep
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (0)
Sandeep has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hi and welcome

If you are having difficulty in finding a glass top for your tank, since you are in Missisauga contact National Glass & Mirror Co. on Dundas (between Dixie & 427) and have some dimensions for them and get a quote for them to cut you some glass (take a tracing on paper if you need). You would want two pieces, one larger piece and a smaller piece that you can lift up or out for feeding or getting in the tank (you don't need a hinge between the two glass pieces on top of your tank). You can get a stick on handle from Big Als.

I always use glass tops on all my reef tanks and find them immensely important in maintaining stable tank parameters by limiting evaporation and maintaining temperature stability as well. Light diffusion is a added benefit with todays powerful LED's. Glass tops also have no effect on effective surface gas exchange and a weekly cleaning with a damp cloth helps prevent salt creep buildup.

Last edited by Sandeep; 04-18-2017 at 02:36 PM..
Sandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #12
duckhams
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (49)
duckhams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep View Post
Hi and welcome

If you are having difficulty in finding a glass top for your tank, since you are in Missisauga contact National Glass & Mirror Co. on Dundas (between Dixie & 427) and have some dimensions for them and get a quote for them to cut you some glass (take a tracing on paper if you need). You would want two pieces, one larger piece and a smaller piece that you can lift up or out for feeding or getting in the tank (you don't need a hinge between the two glass pieces on top of your tank). You can get a stick on handle from Big Als.

I always use glass tops on all my reef tanks and find them immensely important in maintaining stable tank parameters by limiting evaporation and maintaining temperature stability as well. Light diffusion is a added benefit with todays powerful LED's. Glass tops also have no effect on effective surface gas exchange and a weekly cleaning with a damp cloth helps prevent salt creep buildup.
Gas exchange could become an issue on a tank that's not running an open sump with a protein skimmer. The OP is running a sumpless system with only an HOB filter for turnover. A closed glass top is by no means a complete no no, but for reef keepers that run kalk via top-off water, for example, and/or have no skimmer for aeration, it can become an issue. Carbon dioxide build up in a closed tank room can really lower PH, so you'd need to monitor your PH in the AM/PM to make sure it's stable and not going too low. If your PH lowers significantly from having a glass top and limited gas exchange then you could have issues with new inverts/corals deteriorating/dying quickly after being added to the system.
duckhams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #13
Moh
Up-and-comer

Moh can only hope to improve

looks good...u may want to look into covering the back glass...there are blue and black backing that you can apply it gives the tank a feeling of depth and hide wires etc that hand outside the tank so u cant see them from the front also as u progress u can look into adding an overflow box and a sump it will help a lot ...and im sure other mentioned adding a skimmer etc.
Moh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #14
Moh
Up-and-comer

Moh can only hope to improve

that looks like a 46 bow front ...believe me or not my first reef tank was one just like it from big als..lol
Moh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #15
Micul

Micul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moh View Post
that looks like a 46 bow front ...believe me or not my first reef tank was one just like it from big als..lol
It is a 36 gal .

I decided and make a partial cover , and i will upgrade to a sump .
Micul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #16
littletnklvr

Feedback Score: (9)
littletnklvr is on a distinguished road

How about an update, and some pics.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:09 AM   #17
Micul

Micul is on a distinguished road

Did some small upgrades :
- 10 gal sump
- Jebao DCS3000 return pump
- Eshopps PF300 overflow box
- And bought some lights to : https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Micul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:50 PM   #18
littletnklvr

Feedback Score: (9)
littletnklvr is on a distinguished road

Well looks great, but also looks like it's time to upgrade I see a couple of fish in there that could use a bigger tank!