Conix's 75G Reef - Page 3 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > MARINE AQUARIUMS > Marine Photography
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Marine Photography Show us your stuff! Post pictures of your tanks here.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:49 PM   #21
conix67
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (75)
conix67 is a name known to all

The story I heard is that the acrylic plate was cut to exact size between two glass walls, and it was thick (1/2"?). According to the story, acrylics expand more at higher temperature and ended up shattering the glass due to expansion. It kinda makes sense though.

Anyway, I picked up some 1/4" plates from home depot last night, I've cut two baffles and divider already

I didn't have chance to look for glass shop. As long as I understand what to expect and what not to do, it should be safe.
conix67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #22
ameekplec.
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (134)
ameekplec. has a brilliant future ameekplec. has a brilliant future ameekplec. has a brilliant future

Hmm....I find that story hard to believe- unless that person somehow managed to sandwich in an appreciable amount of silicone between the glass and the acrylic. And then the acrylic expanded A LOT (0.5 - 1 cm).

Probably more likely is that they damaged the glass, it cracked due to stress at a point in the pane, and then they attributed it to the acrylic.

My sump has acrylic baffles
ameekplec. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #23
conix67
Devoted Member

With the foam pad under the sump, plumbing was completed (sort of) and after many hours it was time for leak test. All pumps, skimmer, heater, etc are powered and ran for few minutes.. I have some problems

1. bubbles from drain, not sure if this is expected. I have no LR rubbles or anything to break up the flow. Once I have salt water in, this will cause a lot of salt spray around the area where bubbles break. I'm not sure if this is expected or I've done something wrong. I'll post pictures tonight.

2. noise from return pump - not terribly bad, but I have no experience with return pump. It's a pentair quietone 3000, rated for 800GPH. I plan to take it apart to see if parts are all in good condition.

3. noise from Tunze 9010 - I expected complete silence from this german made unit, but it makes more noise than return pump. The noise appears to come from pump, and this too I plan to take apart and examine carefully.

4. noise from Tunze nanostream powerhead - some rattles, will have to see what's up with that

Other than the noise, there's no major problem observed, and no leaks occurred so far. I'd like to solve some of the noise issue before I add salt water in. Not sure if this is expected from a system of this size...

It's not bad enough to bother people sleeping in bedrooms, but you can hear/feel it near the tank..

Old 06-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #24
conix67
Devoted Member

OK. Finally everything's in place and running (with tap water). Bubbles from drain make noise but not bad enough, but other power stuff (power heads, return pump, skimmer) makes enough noise that bothers me a little. Hopefully things will get better after SW is in.

Bubbles !!

Lights on

Old 06-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #25
Landmax

Feedback Score: (4)
Landmax is on a distinguished road

That is a nice setup. Makes me wish that I went the sump route rather than the A-I-O route. Concerning the noise, if your equipment is new, they probably just need breaking in.
Landmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #26
ameekplec.
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (134)
ameekplec. has a brilliant future ameekplec. has a brilliant future ameekplec. has a brilliant future

Looking good Yuri!!!
ameekplec. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #27
Doctor T
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (3)
Doctor T is on a distinguished road

Looking good! I hope my setup turns out as clean looking.

I was looking into Tunze units, I thought because they are a bit more expensive, they were supposed to be quiet?

Another dumb question: What is that lining the bottom of your tank?
Doctor T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:39 AM   #28
conix67
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameekplec. View Post
Looking good Yuri!!!
Thanks. I know you like empty tanks

Honestly, this is so much work, in between family and work... on weekdays I get to work on this only after 10:00pm
Old 06-03-2009, 02:41 AM   #29
conix67
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmax View Post
That is a nice setup. Makes me wish that I went the sump route rather than the A-I-O route. Concerning the noise, if your equipment is new, they probably just need breaking in.
The equipments are not new, but second hand. However, they were cleaned just before I picked them up. Things sometimes go worse after cleaning, noisewise. I had that experience with EHEIM filters.

I think sumpless has some other advantages - simplicity, and less source of noise... plumbing wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be..
Old 06-03-2009, 02:45 AM   #30
conix67
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor T View Post
Looking good! I hope my setup turns out as clean looking.

I was looking into Tunze units, I thought because they are a bit more expensive, they were supposed to be quiet?

Another dumb question: What is that lining the bottom of your tank?
That's what I thought, but I cannot judge from what I've seen so far yet, as I haven't really used it to skim anything out of salt water.

Also, I haven't seen a brand new unit in action. The construction of this unit is simple, and pump runs an impellar without a rod for support, and if the impellar is not perfectly balanced, there will be noise.

Everything in this setup that as mechanical rotational movement makes noise and vibration! I didn't think Koralia 3 would make noticeable noise I could hear and feel.

By the way, there are tons of more expensive skimmers available with similar Gallon ratings as my Tunze 9010.