GTA Aquarium Forums banner

German Blue Ram Sexing

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Tropicana 
#1 ·
So I picked up some german blue rams today from the LFS and I'm not top convinced I received a male and a female.

Any help in sexing these guys would be great.

Fish 1:

Couple hours between the two photos...

Fish 2:

And here's a pic of the two together:

Fish 2 is in front and fish 1 is farthest.

As for behaviour, there is no chasing, except for the odd moment, they just seem to just chill side by side for the most part.

See less See more
#5 ·
I believe that the females have spots inside the big dark black circle and the males do not (course that could be the other way around) but that is how you tell the difference in sex. Unfortunately with Electric Blue Rams, this is not the case...very hard until they start to fight.

I would say both males.

#7 ·
Actually because of inbred genetics females have shown the elogated dorsal spikes for quite some time. Though it is not present in some.

Just be careful some traits arent tell tail signs of male female anymore.

One of my EBR x GBR males vs a female.

#11 · (Edited)
How are they a hybrid? I believe hybrid is the wrong term. But Colour morph, and genetic deformities are more correct. All have contributed to the misleading traits in females.

And please do explain how they are not inbred for specific genetic traits such as the blue, or long fin etc.

#14 ·
Google is your friend..... :rolleyes:

http://bit.ly/1t6MVW7
Cute. Grow some balls and know your stuff before posting. And if your Just learning don't negatively reply to someone who knows what they are talking about.

Sorry OP.

#13 ·
Both of those fish look like males to me. Females will have a distinct pink belly.

I have to agree with what Tropicana is saying, the long fins and color variants are not a result of hybridization but rather selective breeding (which includes linebreeding and inbreeding). Hybrid refers to two different species being paired together. A morph on the other hand is when a single species has been selectively bred to result in a variance from the normal.

Longfin Rams, Electric Blue Rams, Gold Rams, and Balloon Rams are all just morphs of the species Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi. There is no other species involved in the making of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.