720 gallon plywood aquarium build - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > DIY
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

DIY Show us what you've made! Questions, tips and guides on how to do it all yourself!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
vincel892
Devoted Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 364
Feedback Score: (11)
vincel892 will become famous soon enough
Default 720 gallon plywood aquarium build

Looking for custom wood worker/wood working shop to have the plywood pieces cut. Preferably Scarborough but willing to drive.

In the process of designing a 720 gallon plywood aquarium for some monster fish. Took this design off of "greenterra" over at monsterfishkeepers so check out his thread if you get a chance.

Tank will be built strictly out of 3/4" plywood for the sides and bracing. It will have a front and left sided viewing panel. The inside will be sealed with epoxy and seams sealed with some strong SCS1200 silicione and lots of it.
Have not quite figured out plumbing yet but i will be using my 180 gallon as the sump. Any suggestions about filtration and equipment are more than welcome.

Dimensions: 8' L x 4' W x 3' H (~720 gallons)
Materials:
  • 6 plywood sheets- 8'x4'x3/4" thick
  • 2 sheets 19 mm non tempered glass
  • Macropoxy 646 for waterproofing inside
  • SCS1200 silicone for sealing seams and securing glass
To be continued....

Stocking:
  • 7 peacock bass
  • 4 oscars
These guys will be transferred over from current my 180 and 220 gallon.

diag color 1.jpg

diag color 3.jpg

top color.jpg

Cut Layouts (LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO CUT THESE!)

cut layout 1.jpg

cut layout 2.jpg

cut layout 3.jpg

cut layout 4.jpg

cut layout 5.jpg

cut layout 6.jpg
vincel892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
UsAndThem
Devoted Member
 
UsAndThem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: toronto
Posts: 212
Feedback Score: (11)
UsAndThem is on a distinguished road
Default

Sounds like an awesome Idea , I've always wanted a monster tank. But half the fun in a DIY is the satisfaction of knowing you did it all yourself. If you are just looking for size cuts to plywood home depot can do those for you easily.

and any wood shop could help ya out. might cost you a bit though. Good luck and cant wait to see more .
UsAndThem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:06 PM   #3
vincel892
Devoted Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 364
Feedback Score: (11)
vincel892 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAndThem View Post
Sounds like an awesome Idea , I've always wanted a monster tank. But half the fun in a DIY is the satisfaction of knowing you did it all yourself. If you are just looking for size cuts to plywood home depot can do those for you easily.



and any wood shop could help ya out. might cost you a bit though. Good luck and cant wait to see more .
Appreciate the comment. So excited to get started. But planning and sourcing all the material is the hardest part.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
vincel892 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 11-30-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
UsAndThem
Devoted Member
 
UsAndThem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: toronto
Posts: 212
Feedback Score: (11)
UsAndThem is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincel892 View Post
Appreciate the comment. So excited to get started. But planning and sourcing all the material is the hardest part.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
what program did you use to draw your design ? it could come in handy for me lol
UsAndThem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:13 PM   #5
vincel892
Devoted Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 364
Feedback Score: (11)
vincel892 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAndThem View Post
what program did you use to draw your design ? it could come in handy for me lol
It's called Sketchup. Lots of videos and tutorials on it so not hard to learn at all.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
vincel892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:41 PM   #6
planter
Aquascaping Apprentice
 
planter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 1,549
Feedback Score: (32)
planter has a spectacular aura about
Default

well this is going to be interesting
planter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #7
Hamish
Senior Member
 
Hamish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wingham, ON, Canada
Posts: 277
Feedback Score: (1)
Hamish is on a distinguished road
Default

Tagging along, i have seen one of these before, its amazing what you can do with resin and wood. Good luck
__________________
125, 6ft Dual Overflow, 55 Sump, Swc 150, Jebao 5000, 2x Heaters, 2x Gfo Rx, 2x QP900, Led, T5Ho,

160 lbs Rock, 3 inches Argonite, Big Fuge with Cheato and Rock,

Frogspawn, Torch, Grn and Blk Flor, Brain, Leathers, Cabbage Coral, Crotea Clam, Zoas, Mushrooms, Gsp,

Foxface, Purple Tang, Leapard Wrasse, Engineer Goby, 2x B&W Clowns, 10 Turbos, 10 Nazz. Emerald Crab, Blood Shrimp, 2x Pepperments,
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
wtac
Hunh?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere between here and there
Posts: 2,435
Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future
Default

HomeDepot will cut the plywood for you as they have an upright track saw. Above a certain number of cuts they used to charge $1/cut but not sure how much it is now.

I've used LiquidRubber to waterproof the inside (ponds, wood water trough reservoirs, etc) and use GeoTex membrane or the Schluter (sp?) orange strips imbedded at the corners/seams. Faster and easier to use than epoxy/fibreglass as well as very little VOC so you can easily work with it indoors in a confined space and not pass out/get high...just smells like tar/rubber. In a pinch, you can use it to patch a leaky roof LMFAO

Make sure that all panels and stud joints are glued (PL) and screwed. You can use deck screws for the ply to studs but use Simpson structural screws for the stud to stud as the spirals are more aggressive and a larger head (comes with nut driver) so it doesn't pull out and has superior shear strength vs deck screws.

Viewing panes: it looks like you will have at least 1" where the glass/acrylic will overlap the opening. This is where it gets tricky. All you need is 1/16" layer of silicone between the panel and aquarium wall so putting a wee rubber something to use as a spacer in the middle of the area to apply silicone and mask off the viewing area. Apply a thick (~3\8") silicone bead so that you minimize bubbles in the contact seam. Gently wedge a 2x4 to hold it in place and let it properly cure.

Keep in mind that water pressure will push the panel INTO the inside frame and no structural strength is needed as with traditional "all glass" aquariums.

A few different ways to skin the cat

JM2C/HTH
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
vincel892
Devoted Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 364
Feedback Score: (11)
vincel892 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtac View Post
HomeDepot will cut the plywood for you as they have an upright track saw. Above a certain number of cuts they used to charge $1/cut but not sure how much it is now.

I've used LiquidRubber to waterproof the inside (ponds, wood water trough reservoirs, etc) and use GeoTex membrane or the Schluter (sp?) orange strips imbedded at the corners/seams. Faster and easier to use than epoxy/fibreglass as well as very little VOC so you can easily work with it indoors in a confined space and not pass out/get high...just smells like tar/rubber. In a pinch, you can use it to patch a leaky roof LMFAO

Make sure that all panels and stud joints are glued (PL) and screwed. You can use deck screws for the ply to studs but use Simpson structural screws for the stud to stud as the spirals are more aggressive and a larger head (comes with nut driver) so it doesn't pull out and has superior shear strength vs deck screws.

Viewing panes: it looks like you will have at least 1" where the glass/acrylic will overlap the opening. This is where it gets tricky. All you need is 1/16" layer of silicone between the panel and aquarium wall so putting a wee rubber something to use as a spacer in the middle of the area to apply silicone and mask off the viewing area. Apply a thick (~3\8") silicone bead so that you minimize bubbles in the contact seam. Gently wedge a 2x4 to hold it in place and let it properly cure.

Keep in mind that water pressure will push the panel INTO the inside frame and no structural strength is needed as with traditional "all glass" aquariums.

A few different ways to skin the cat

JM2C/HTH
Thanks for your input. Is the geotex membrane aquarium safe ?
Viewing panel: I actually have a 3" space where the glass can potentially overlap with the plywood window. How much do you think is necessary. I was thinking at least 2"?


Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
vincel892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #10
wtac
Hunh?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere between here and there
Posts: 2,435
Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future
Default

The geotex will be imbedded so there will be no issue .

A 2" overlap is perfect. It's going to be one heavy chunk of glass so you will have to incorporate a lower ledge for the glass to rest upon or an added inner framework for the glass panel.
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aquarium , build , custom , monster , plywood

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.