GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Lucky's Aquarium

53K views 167 replies 84 participants last post by  Pocky 
#1 ·
#F104A, 2nd floor 4350 Steeles Avenue East, Markham, ON L3R 9V4 - (905) 477-8778

What do you guys think of this store?

#2 ·
I generally like luckys

Usually when i need to find cubes or some sort i can locate them there. You can find some different fish at that store, i had hit and miss type of luck with how well they did but its the oddballs that i look for there.

They really have some great bettas somtimes, its just a matter of getting there before they rot.

#3 ·
Every fish I have bought there has had an outbreach of Ich within 2 days of me getting it home. Fortunately I do have an isolation tank. I will state that they have had one of the largest selections of plecos I have seen at one store. Just make sure you QT any fish bought from this store!

#6 ·
First thing I noticed when I visited was the goldfish in December 2007! They have a very nice goldfish selection with interesting features that you usually don't see.

Plant selection is average to limited, and they are definitely overpriced from what I remember.

Pretty good selection of FW/SW fish. The equipment and dry goods are fairly priced for a retail store. However, the back part of the equipment section is very disorganized and messy.

I think they also sell turtles and hamsters on the side.

They also let customers net their own fish. Good in the sense that you can pick healthy stock, but bad in the sense that less experienced hobbyists don't know how to net the fish and end up stressing every moving animal in the tank. Some staff are knowledgeable but some are very clueless. Also, some picky customers take forever to net the fish/shrimp. I was hoping to net some amano shrimps, but another customer took about 20 minutes to pick out 3 amano shrimp when they were all almost identical in size and health...

I bought an oranda for $5 and 10 amano shrimps for $20. Great stuff!

Overall pretty good place to go, they sell nice goldfish and have good deals frequently.

#7 ·
just an update as i am -really- happy to see it... They brought in a really nice betta wall for thier betta and they all looked excellent! :)

WOnderful shrimp and pleco as usual...

#12 ·
BTW, purchased another angelfish (yeah, I'm smitten!) but not at Lucky's, at another place not too far away -- Cid can fill you in.

S/he is a long finned silver type with 3 body stripes (spanning from top to bottom) and one through the eyes, red eyes but a snake sin type dorsal fin. Very responsive and active.

Currently s/he is in my q-tank settling in with lights off...

#17 ·
yea but if they dont know they usually tend to go to a head guy which i have found have good info. Or at least i havent been fed any bull lately :)

Crap...i cant remeber the name of the other store. Aquapets?

#18 ·
I went to Lucky's today specfically for the Sulewesi's, asked 3 different people on the staff about them. None of them had any idea what I was talking about and said they never had them in stock. :confused: When I said it was advertised on the net that they did have them the kid that was helping me shrugged and I thought he was walking away to ask someone, but he never came back.:confused: A shame really, I was prepared to drop a lot of coin on those shrimp. First and last time I'll step foot in there.

To date the best answer someone has given me in the lfs when they didn't know what I was talking about was...'I'm not sure, let me ask someone else'.

#19 ·
that's too bad katalyst....shame they don't know much...when I was in there, yeah they had some nice stuff, but when I asked questions (twice) i got no helpful answer... i asked for a co2 regulator.... got "what's that" as a response.... explained it, and got directed to a co2 tank, with no regulator... asked the price, was told 180 after some thinking, 10 minutes later my gf asked the price, and it was 140... ?????? we left empty handed of course

#20 ·
Reminds me of most non-franchised convenience stores in the city. Arbitrary pricing is the most irritating thing about going to those kennedy/steeles area places. They just make up a price for each person to see what they will pay.

#23 · (Edited)
Yeah, I think they have some new and lousy staff working there recently. I've always have the odd looks all the time, and most of their staff can't speak english very well and my Chinese isn't all that good either.
If you're there again, that is a long if, go to the counter to ask for help there.
But you guys should have a good laught at the odd experience though. You got a bit of a taste of the nasty oriential services. LOL. They go by the clientel business model. If you're a big time or frequent buyer, they'll glady hop along next to you answering every question you have including pretending to listen to how your cat got your fish. But if you're a small time/first time buyer, you'll most likely get ingored until you've made a few big purchase and they recognize your face. Once that is extablished, I wouldn't be supprise if they push a small time buyer out of the way just to get to you.

Mind you, I am not defending them, I think that's a poor way to do business, but I have to admit, that's how the other 3/4 of the world do business though.

Edit: Kate, you might want to give Harold from Managerie a try. I remember reading that he says he saw them showing up on his supplier's list, but there is no market here to sell them to. So it might be possible to get him to order them for you.
I saw them at Lucky last week. I think that one's common name is "Red Goldflake Shrimp". Don't bother asking by this name thought. These common names haven't really stuck yet.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

#25 ·
most of their staff can't speak english very well and my Chinese isn't all that good either.
yeah my chinese is terrible too... since you know, i'm canadian and born here...and white :\

it was tough when I was there, but some prices on some equipement was ok, on tanks and such... the osaka (sp?) setup they had was like $250 cheaper than BA's (and it was on sale there) lol..

#24 ·
Hmmm i usually always talk to Jim or the girl.. and if she doesnt know she'll ask the other guy or jim lol.

But i do tend to go there often.. Maybe thats why.. LOL

#28 ·
I went back to Lucky's and had a completely different experience from the first one, I'm unsure of the woman's name but she was so sweet to me that I went back the following day. It was then that I met Jim, he was also very pleasant to deal with and very knowledgable. :D I think they were amused by how much I liked some of the snails and shrimp they were carrying as I spent a long time selecting my purchases. I think I may have to pay them another visit today. :D

#33 ·
... When Cid and I were there, they had sail eating snails. ..
Oh really? I wonder what kind of sail they eat! Heh heh.
Speaking of this snail. I've got four and dump them in the tanks where I've trying to get rid of the ramhorns and MTS. They don't seem to been very snail eating. I've seen them walk past a smaller snail like 15 times already and they just walk pass them. No "wham, you're food" thing happened.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.