GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Dwarf Neon Rainbows

5K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  tariqkieran007 
#1 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd share some pics of the rainbows I got at the recent Aquariama event out in Durham.

These are Melanotaenia Praecox sp. Pagai Village. They're still pretty young, but they're my first rainbows and I'm absolutely in love with them lol

See less See more
#7 ·
I'm liking them more and more as time goes by. Pretty neat behaviour and it's fascinating how the colours can shift depending on the time of day, light, or I guess their moods.

Right now I only have a couple tanks up and running. Aiming to try breeding in the summer, unless fry manages to survive on their own in the meantime of course. Need to figure out how to set up more tanks without my aunt killing me haha =)

#11 ·
Thanks Dave. Too bad you're far or I'd come take some pics for you. More practice for me!

But honestly, the reds always shows on my guys. The blues and purples tend to vary more, are never totally faded to silver I guess. I think they may be colouring up more too now? They're still young

#12 ·
You are welcome to come up and give it a go... We can send you home with some cool rainbows. Lol. Yea. The red is so vivid in life and the blue so rich. Your pictures capture them quite well. They look full grown to me. These f4 pagai praecox max out at around 2" which is quite a bit smaller than the messed up lfs ones. The depth of body makes me think they are full length more or less and starting to increase in depth.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
You are welcome to come up and give it a go... We can send you home with some cool rainbows. Lol. Yea. The red is so vivid in life and the blue so rich. Your pictures capture them quite well. They look full grown to me. These f4 pagai praecox max out at around 2" which is quite a bit smaller than the messed up lfs ones. The depth of body makes me think they are full length more or less and starting to increase in depth.
Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Yeah I was wondering about that, cause some of mine have the proportions of what I see as adults. I'm kinda glad they stay smaller actually. So that's just perfect. Mine are still smaller than two inches, I think. I'm not sure how to measure... lol.

One day maybe I'll be up by your end. No car, so who knows when the one day will be haha =)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.