GTA Aquarium Forums banner

30 Gallon Freshwater Tank Plan

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  ameekplec. 
#1 ·
Went into BA's today and wanted a nice long skinny tank for my dresser and decided if i would get a tank it would be a 30G Long tank. The dimensions are 36x12x16.

Just wanted some help from the experts on which filter(s), light(s) i should get for it and anything else that im missing.

Its gonna be a heavily planted tank and i was either gonna go with as many tetras as i could fit in there or a tank mostly based on angels.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Thanks.

#3 ·
+1.
~300 lbs of water right there... plus substrate, lighting, filters, etc. You'd be better off with a stand made for aquariums.

I think a school of cories would look nice, with tangly driftwood, and cardinal tetras swimming about the top

and angels wouldn't be too great in a tank that size, because they do need a lot more space vertically, or their growth will be stunted.

#5 ·
It looks pretty sturdy, but to help with the weight transfer, put some styrofoam right under the tank. The carpet also helps a bit with distributing the weight. It seems good! And even better because the tank is longer than normal.

The ultimate test is to have everyone in your family on it, if it wobbles, it's bad.

#6 ·
Jesse, consider that for almost every boxed tank-kit on the market, that the lighting included is only able to provide a minimum amount of lighting for plants, and will largely limit the plant species you could successfully keep. Especially in tanks that are on the tall side.

Just something to consider. I think a 33G LONG tank would look ace on that dresser, but they are not a size of tank included in boxed kits.

#13 ·
It's probably fine for the weight - most stands are made from the same cheap MDF anyways.

The only problem I might worry about is a bit of sagging - on my shorter Ikea dresser there's enough sag in the middle to slide coins through, and the tank edges are right above the sides of the dresser. Just something to consider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.