GTA Aquarium Forums banner

65 gallon build

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  ApXWingman 
#1 ·
hey everyone

So I am starting a new build, I got a killer deal on a 65 gallon tank ($65 with light and stand). I have been looking for something like this to put my red tail shark into. My plan is to make a freshwater tank that is heavily planted with some places to hide as well. I currently have in a smaller tank the shark, 3 tetras, and 2 mollys.

I am somewhat experienced as I have kept frogs for a couple years, and have been running my other aquarium for about 1 year now. This tank will be placed in my living room so everything must be as quiet as possible. This will be a work in progress as I will also be picking up equipment slowly, however this week I plan on getting substrate and a filter (debating between in tank filter or a cannister filter).

So far I have some decorations (driftwood for moss to grow onto) and a fake tree decoration (wifey picked it out to add into the tank). Here is a picture of it, currently without water.

See less See more
#2 ·
For a lack of noise - spend the money, get a cannister - i'm a big fan of the eheim classics (2213/5/7) they last for-ever, are idiot proof (I run them:)
i have 2x 2217 on my 65 (36x18x24tall) but for filtration its so overkill its not funny. you'd likely be fine with a single one.

Check the forum, you'll likely find one used for sale at a decent price. the upgraded spraybar/intakes are worth getting.

if you have any questions feel free to pm

#3 ·
thanks. I see a lot of really good reviews and it is not a bad price, even brand new. Should be picking up a filter and substrate in the next week so I can get some water in this thing. Still looking for a nice big stand for it (decorative stand) as the wifey does not like the steel cage look in the living room. Looking for something cheap and looks decent if anyone has anything out there.

#4 ·
been a long time since I updated this.....I got a stand, got it all setup and have been running it for quite some time. Currently I have:

6 Assassin Snails
6 Ghost Shrimp
2 Clown Loaches
3 Algae eaters
2 Red Tail Sharks
20 or so Mollies

I lost count on the mollies, as I have some that are breeding and they swim all over the place. Here is a pic. I will try and get some better ones later.

#8 ·
I want them to get rid of the snails. I was trying not to let them get into this tank, but they must have piggybacked with something, but they have been leaving the shrimp alone. Probably has to due with there are alot of snails to eat :)

I have taken a couple videos, I am going to upload them to youtube and post them here shortly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.