*Auction in Brampton* Sun, Nov 8th, 2015 by Peel Aquarium Club - Page 3 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > GREATER TORONTO AREA MARKETPLACE > GTA CLUBS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Old 11-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #21
Reis
Pleco Hunter

Feedback Score: (27)
Reis is on a distinguished road

Hey just wanted to say I love auctions and all work that's put in them, I really do appreciate what members of those fish communities do for us because it gives an opportunity for a hobbyist to meet other hobbyists and basically dive into a whole new world of fish. I'm always telling more people about auctions so we can get more exposure of the hobby out there.
So this auction I had brought a new friend who had never attended an auction before. He loved it and spent well over $250 hehe which his initial budget was $100. So over the next few days, hardware and other items from the auction are being cleaned and washed. Only to find out that heaters, filters and other miscellaneous items don't even work... They came in their original packaging so as buyer you'd think that the item at least works or is some what functional... Nope... People just package broken non working items back in their box and off to the auction they go to be bought by fellow hobbyists only to get home and find out all the money they had spent was wasted...
I know not EVERYTHING can be examined but if people are bringing in hardware to sell please just have a bucket with you and its a quick test to just see if motors are working, heaters light up, lights are functioning and then if items don't work it should be MANDATORY that the item states that it is broken. Sorry for ranting. Just trying to come up with an idea on how we can solve this so when all the hobbyists/new comers leave an auction with a large smile they'll be able to keep on smiling when going through they're new items and not blow up like a volcano lol
Yup I'm done hahaha

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Check out my new stock and reviews!
Website
http://www.nextgenaquatics.com

Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/nextgenaquatics

Instagram @Nextgenaquatics

Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/NextGenAquarium

Local Pick Up = Eglinton and Keele, Toronto (Highway exit is Black Creek OR Keele off of 401)
Reis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #22
philipraposo1982
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (15)
philipraposo1982 is on a distinguished road

This is why the dras auction doesn't allow items that are not new in box.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #23
zenins
Freshwater Fish Keeper

Feedback Score: (0)
zenins has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reis View Post
So over the next few days, hardware and other items from the auction are being cleaned and washed. Only to find out that heaters, filters and other miscellaneous items don't even work... They came in their original packaging so as buyer you'd think that the item at least works or is some what functional... Nope... People just package broken non working items back in their box and off to the auction they go to be bought by fellow hobbyists only to get home and find out all the money they had spent was wasted...
I know not EVERYTHING can be examined but if people are bringing in hardware to sell please just have a bucket with you and its a quick test to just see if motors are working, heaters light up, lights are functioning and then if items don't work it should be MANDATORY that the item states that it is broken. Sorry for ranting. Just trying to come up with an idea on how we can solve this so when all the hobbyists/new comers leave an auction with a large smile they'll be able to keep on smiling when going through they're new items and not blow up like a volcano lol
Yup I'm done hahaha
This one of the reasons why KWAS does not allow used equipment in their auction.
I personally do not buy used equipment unless I am looking for some parts to repair mine
Another consideration is that some auctions require sellers to state explicitly that the equipment is working or not and their contact info like name, phone number and email address right on the item, or it is not accepted for auction.

The host club can not test or vouch for every item in the auction, it is "buyer beware" and "as is".

Even fish can not be verified, I have purchased some in the past where they looked good at the auction, but were dead by the time I got home

www.kwas.ca
zenins is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2015, 02:50 PM   #24
zenins
Freshwater Fish Keeper

Feedback Score: (0)
zenins has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotmando View Post
Lucky catch. The other trio went for $22.
Exactly ... I was very lucky that only a few were paying attention right at that moment

Of course there were some items I wanted that were bid up to retail price and in some cases higher

www.kwas.ca
zenins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #25
fishead
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (16)
fishead has a spectacular aura about

Can you please pm me about the items that were not working?

Also the sellers email is directly on each label of the items that were sold so you can contact the seller. Up until now Peel has been one of the few Auctions that has allowed used equipment as we have not run into this issue. After this auction we will be reviewing it as we were inundated with used items. We as a club do feel that used items do have a place in an auction and can be very useful to buyers at an auction. Things such as used tanks for the person who bought too many items. But the amount of used HOB filters, gravel,rocks, and plastic plants was not except able.

I am not on the executive of Peel just a member this year but will bring any and all ideas/concerns to the executive regarding the auction. Please be honest as we always want the Auction to be an enjoyable event and improved upon every year.
fishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:30 AM   #26
John_C
Devoted Member

John_C is just really nice
Default Awesome show!

This was the first auction I attended since I use to go to the cichlid auctions in Guelph back in the day... I picked up a lot of great stuff and was thoroughly happy with the selection... Great selection of guppies and wild livebearers especially....

When will be the next Fish auction in the GTA? I'm hooked, and I'd probably be putting in some of my stock up for auction as well..
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:16 AM   #27
fishead
Devoted Member

fishead has a spectacular aura about

Glad you liked the Auction John C! Please PM me any feed back on the things you liked and didn't like about the Auction. We always welcome criticism to help to improve the Auction. One change I know I can announce is we will be going to an even larger venue next year. At the start of the auction we had over 200 people in the room. We were not expecting that many people! Even as the very last item sold there was still 73 buyers in the room so a larger room is definitely required.

The next Auction is in St. Catherines Ontario at the end of the month. After that no auctions till the spring. Durham Club holds their Auction in April every year and the Barrie club is looking to hold one this spring with the date a venue to be announced
fishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:36 AM   #28
Scotmando

Feedback Score: (64)
Scotmando is a splendid one to behold Scotmando is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
This was the first auction I attended since I use to go to the cichlid auctions in Guelph back in the day... I picked up a lot of great stuff and was thoroughly happy with the selection... Great selection of guppies and wild livebearers especially....

When will be the next Fish auction in the GTA? I'm hooked, and I'd probably be putting in some of my stock up for auction as well..
Here is the link to Auction & Show List right here on GTAAquaria. It is updated for all upcoming auctions in the GTA, Southern Ontario & a few others.
Scotmando is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auction , brampton , peel auction , pleco , prac