Amazon style tank and using almond leaves? - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > General Freshwater Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

General Freshwater Discussion For all topics relating to freshwater fish to the in's and out's of maintaining a freshwater tank.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:29 AM   #1
Aquaman111
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (0)
Aquaman111 is on a distinguished road
Default Amazon style tank and using almond leaves?

Hello folks. I might setup another tank in the coming months. I spent most of not all of my time on the salty side, however, a while back shut down my tank as it was not for me.

I will be setting up a simple tank. Most likely a 90 gallon and with an amazon biotope. Sand bottom, wood and no plants. If I do plants it will be an Anubis which I can easily control and toss out should it not work.

I plan on using almond leaves and wondering what you guys have experienced. I plan on leaving them in the tank. Will they deteriorate on their own safely and cleanly? Or am I gonna have to spend time fishing out chunks of leaves? Issues with canister filters getting clogged ? Issues with a python hose? How will I clean it without sucking up sand and leaves clogging my sink and hose?

Im not lazy but I want a simple tank. The amazon seems to be right up my alley! I plan on using very dim lighting and hopefully that will cut down on algae. I had to shut down my freshwater tank as the stand and tank weíre getting up there in age ans making me nervous . Also, My daughter wants more fish and figured Iíll do this instead of planted again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aquaman111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
iamaloner

Feedback Score: (8)
iamaloner is on a distinguished road

You should look into large pieces that release tannins as well. It will really help with the overall look

Buce520 sells a lot of tannins inducing little knick nacks likes cones and what not

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
iamaloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
Aquaman111
Up-and-comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaloner View Post
You should look into large pieces that release tannins as well. It will really help with the overall look

Buce520 sells a lot of tannins inducing little knick nacks likes cones and what not

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip! I bought a crap load of catappa leaves on amazon for dirt cheap. Said they are cracked. So I got a huge box for $35. I hope itís not powdered leaves

I want a good amount of debris but donít wanna crash the tank at the same time with PH. So I might run a little carbon

Old 11-09-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
DOOBIE

DOOBIE is on a distinguished road

I bought the same box off amazon about 3mths ago. they are still sittin in the box. no they wernt all cracked and crushed but they looked horrible and im afraid to use them. I get mine off pets and ponds. nice clean attractive leaves that leave a beautiful tea color in my tank. I leave mine in and pull out with tweezers after. the ones from pets and ponds melt away to the point that it leaves only the skeleton of the leaf which actually is very durable. I myself find about 1 leaf per gal works the best for me. my tap water is PH 7.0 to 7.2 constant. 1 leaf per gal brings my PH to 6.7.
DOOBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #5
FishNerd
Up-and-comer

FishNerd is on a distinguished road
Default Almond leaves aka Catappa leaves

Sounds like a great project. I read an interesting article in Amazonas magazine about this topic. Besides the aesthetic value of the leaves and associated tannins; positive effects against fungal infections, bacterial infestation, ectoparasites, mucous membrane damage, and other injuries have been observed. But like anything these leaves need to be introduced into the aquarium in moderation. Because there is such a thing as Catappa extract toxicity.

The anti-bacterial properties have been studied. Achieving a bactericidal effect corresponds to at least 3 to 8 medium sized leaves per 25 gallons(100L) of aquarium volume. The author defines a medium sized leaf as 6.3-7.9 inches. Precise enough for you, haha..

The author goes on to describe studies focusing on catappa extract toxicity. He concludes that for disease prophylaxis catappa leaves are safe if you do not use more than 3 medium sized leaves per 25 gallons(100L) of aquarium water. With more leaves the germ-reducing effect increases, but so does the risk of damage to the fishes.

The article basically concludes that roughly 3 leaves per 25 gallons is a safe for the aquarium. Some other leaves you might want to consider adding in conjunction with the almond leaves might be dry walnut, birch, and oak leaves.

Hope this helps, if you're not subscribed to Amazonas magazine I would highly recommend it. Fantastic articles and a great resource for information about all aspects of the hobby.

The article i'm referring to is called, Catappa & Company: Terrestrial leaves to the aquatic rescue? It's in the May/June 2018 edition of Amazonas.

Have fun setting up the new tank. Hope this helps

FN
FishNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
infolific
OK, just 1 more plant

Feedback Score: (21)
infolific will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman111 View Post
I will be setting up a simple tank. Most likely a 90 gallon and with an amazon biotope. Sand bottom, wood and no plants. If I do plants it will be an Anubis which I can easily control and toss out should it not work.
How about floating plants? They don't need a lot of light, will help with keeping the water clean, and they don't get covered in algae.

Quote:
I plan on using almond leaves and wondering what you guys have experienced. I plan on leaving them in the tank. Will they deteriorate on their own safely and cleanly? Or am I gonna have to spend time fishing out chunks of leaves?
Almond leaves eventually deteriorate, but the "veins" can stick around for quite some time so hopefully you don't mind the look of them.

Quote:
Im not lazy but I want a simple tank. The amazon seems to be right up my alley! I plan on using very dim lighting and hopefully that will cut down on algae.
Dim light on a tannin-filled tank might not give you much to look at :-)

The GTA Aquarium Club meets every third Tuesday of the month. Ask me for details or check out the official FB page and events listings.

infolific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #7
Aquaman111
Up-and-comer

Hey guys! Glad to see this post is getting a little more notice!

I missed out on a 90 gallon tank sadly, however, I found myself a 75 gallon. Itís pretty much the same dimensions but a little less height which will work out better I think. Maybe. Can get some nice pieces of wood that stick out of the water

I ordered my pendant lights that have a 0-100% dimming option which is nice. Ordered a Eheim pro 4 for $250! Couldnít believe the price! Figured Iíd check my old source for salty stuff and voila! Cheaper then anywhere else!

I am currently debating on what sand to get. I donít want a deep sand bed. Itís basically for looks and a little comfort for my future Coryís. Pool and play sand are tempting as aquarium sand prices are insane. Just scared to choose a cheap alternative lol.

As for the lights and floating plants Iím not sure that there will be enough to provide sufficient lighting. I will play with the settings and see what works best for the overall looks and functionality as I donít want a bright tank but I do wanna see the fish ha ha ba.

The recommendation for the amount of leaves is exactly the type of info Iíve been looking for! I will most defiantly have to look into that magazine!!!

Fish species Iím thinking are:

Bristle nose pleco

Tetras

Hatchet fish

Maybe a couple captive bred discus or 3-4 angelfish

Thatís pretty much it!