Are petstore goldfish given growth stunters? - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > General Freshwater Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

General Freshwater Discussion For all topics relating to freshwater fish to the in's and out's of maintaining a freshwater tank.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #1
mousey
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (3)
mousey is on a distinguished road
Default Are petstore goldfish given growth stunters?

Last year I set up a goldfish tank. Over the past 18 months I have had 3 different goldfish that I bought from a chain pet store up and die on me. None of them grew much past the size that I bought them. Each seemed to be doing ok until I found each one curled on the bottom of the tank. One that is currently dying has had a bit of trouble with mild dropsy also but has recovered from it each time until this last week. It does not have dropsy just now but is curled up and breathing very slowly.

In contrast the 2 goldfish I bought from an independent store at the same time ( because of the colors they have) have grown fairly rapidly and are about 2 1/2 times bigger that the chain store fish.

I know people who have bought from the chain and have done ok. Perhaps the batch of fish was sickly to begin with or do they give growth stunters?
mousey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #2
martelvis

Feedback Score: (0)
martelvis is on a distinguished road

Unless you are buying Ornamental goldfish at $15/20 each, your quality is going to be very poor. I only like Comets, so I get mine as feeders, 10 cents each when you buy 12 or more, and they do not count them, so you always get more. I know that I will loose 20/30 per cent die off, but for the money, you cannot go wrong. And remember to feed them good food, with lots of vegs in their diet. A good rule is vegs every other day. I get my feeders from Big Al's, Yonge and Steeles. Very happy with what I get, for the money.
martelvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:03 PM   #3
clubsoda
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (6)
clubsoda is on a distinguished road

I haven’t heard of growth stunter before if anything is the opposite as typically breeders and store want large growing goldfish since they sell better and for more money. Unfortunately some breeder don’t cull their goldfish well. So these fishes have a short lifespan.

Interesting article: http://solidgoldaquatics.com/2014/12...ts-on-culling/
clubsoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
mousey
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (3)
mousey is on a distinguished road

Interesting article. Thanks. I have had a number of fish from this chain die. Used to keep tropicals and could never get the fish to last much longer than 3-6 months. Most of them got saddle back. Have had a variety of fish from Big Als over the years. Some have been great and some have carried disease that has wiped out a 20 gallon tank of tropicals overnight! Seems to be the luck of the draw so to speak.

However I am not real happy at my goldies dying as they are living creatures too.
mousey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
AustinLear

Feedback Score: (0)
AustinLear is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousey View Post
Interesting article. Thanks. I have had a number of fish from this chain die. Used to keep tropicals and could never get the fish to last much longer than 3-6 months. Most of them got saddle back. Have had a variety of fish from Big Als over the years. Some have been great and some have carried disease that has wiped out a 20 gallon tank of tropicals overnight! Seems to be the luck of the draw so to speak.

However I am not real happy at my goldies dying as they are living creatures too.
As much as big als can be great for hardware/dry goods they seem to absolutely suck at keeping a decent stock of healthy fish. I used to buy my fish from them but after having most die from issues outside of my control within months of bringing them home I can't support them anymore.

I've found the smaller LFS nearby have less quantity but enjoy a better quality of fish than the chain stores.
AustinLear is offline   Reply With Quote