Fluval Plant 3.0 - thoughts thus far - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Equipment Tanks, stands, heaters, filters, and all your favourite aquarium hardware in one place. Discuss.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
Bebu
Member
 
Bebu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 131
Feedback Score: (2)
Bebu is on a distinguished road
Default Fluval Plant 3.0 - thoughts thus far

So, having had this unit (36”-48” - actual unit is 34”) for a short while, my initial thoughts are that this is a very very good light. However, that’s to be expected of my initial thoughts, as my research and request for opinion of others led me to this purchase. I guess a “one year later” review would be more beneficial to others as the initial excitement would dwindle and product flaws would manifest itself by then.

But for those who just want to know if this buy is a “what a mistake!” or a “stay away - terrible build quality!”, the answer is no - I don’t think you’ll regret this purchase. This is by far the best light intended for planted aquariums I’ve owned. Although I’ve never owned the other popular brands (Current, Finnex), I can say that I’ve noticed a marked difference in my Plant growth compared to my Aquatic Life LED.

And the app, although it’s no award winning Black Box or Old Mans Journey, is quite well designed. Easy enough to navigate and program. There aren’t a whole lot of features, but I think if there were, it would be harder to navigate and program. You can manipulate the intensity and colours easily (check out YouTube videos for pretty good run through of the app), and you get to customize your sunrise, midday, sunset, and night. For the sunrise, you select the start time, duration and coloration. The midday you customize the coloration. The night, you select the start time, duration and coloration. This is all under the auto function. Again, for a deeper breakdown of the Fluval app, checkout YouTube.

The only negative thing I would say is that because the unit is very narrow, even with their claimed 120 degree spread, on my shallow 12 gallon long (with a rather thick layer of substrate), the rays don’t quite reach the entire width of the tank. I think if I raise it 2 or 3 inches (which I will have to anyway because the light is so intense), I will get the front and back full covered.

All in all, a great buy. Apparently, this light will be available in Canada in late 2018.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-04-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
Salinger
Up-and-comer
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Downtown Toronto
Posts: 52
Feedback Score: (0)
Salinger is on a distinguished road
Default

I actually ordered it a few days ago myself! LOL I was going to get the 2.0, but it didn't seem to make sense to buy something that's already last generation. And because, as you mentioned, the 3.0 won't be released here for some time, they're still charging full price for the 2.0 whereas many of the US stores selling the Fluval lights are already marking their 2.0 units down for clearance. I'd thought about saving a few $$ and ordering the 2.0 that was on sale, but I think the new light has enough additional features that makes it worth the extra.

Anyway, in the end, as you discovered already, getting the 3.0 from the US, still ends up cheaper than buying the "old" version locally.

Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of a 12 gallon long? I've never heard of that size. My tank is a 23 gallon long, and it's 36" long, 12" depth. Is the 12 long really 36" or did you just buy longer light than you needed?

Last edited by Salinger; 03-04-2018 at 09:03 PM..
Salinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
Bebu
Member
 
Bebu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 131
Feedback Score: (2)
Bebu is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salinger View Post
I actually ordered it a few days ago myself! LOL I was going to get the 2.0, but it didn't seem to make sense to buy something that's already last generation. And because, as you mentioned, the 3.0 won't be released here for some time, they're still charging full price for the 2.0 whereas many of the US stores selling the Fluval lights are already marking their 2.0 units down for clearance. I'd thought about saving a few $$ and ordering the 2.0 that was on sale, but I think the new light has enough additional features that makes it worth the extra.

Anyway, in the end, as you discovered already, getting the 3.0 from the US, still ends up cheaper than buying the "old" version locally.

Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of a 12 gallon long? I've never heard of that size. My tank is a 23 gallon long, and it's 36" long, 12" depth. Is the 12 long really 36" or did you just buy longer light than you needed?


Yes - the dimensions are actually 35.4" x 8.3" x 9.4".

The light is almost the perfect length. If it was only 1/2” longer on either side, it would have been perfect coverage. I’m sure you’ll see when it arrives.

Fantastic light so far, though. I’m interested in what you’ll have to say when you get it.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bebu is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 03-05-2018, 10:44 PM   #4
Dis
Devoted Member
 
Dis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 664
Feedback Score: (7)
Dis is on a distinguished road
Default

Nice write up. Where did you order from?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:47 PM   #5
Bebu
Member
 
Bebu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 131
Feedback Score: (2)
Bebu is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis View Post
Nice write up. Where did you order from?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk


Dr fosters and smith. Apparently Kens Fish also carries it and ships to Canada also. There are other retailers who carry, but many refuse to ship to Canada.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:49 PM   #6
Dis
Devoted Member
 
Dis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 664
Feedback Score: (7)
Dis is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebu View Post
Dr fosters and smith. Apparently Kens Fish also carries it and ships to Canada also. There are other retailers who carry, but many refuse to ship to Canada.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks. I'll have a look

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #7
infolific
OK, just 1 more plant
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Yonge and Sheppard
Posts: 543
Feedback Score: (21)
infolific will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebu View Post
So, having had this unit (36”-48” - actual unit is 34”) for a short while, my initial thoughts are that this is a very very good light.
How does the light behave if you unplug it and plug it back in? Does it resume wherever the programming indicates it should be at the time power is restored?
infolific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:29 AM   #8
AustinLear
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto - Trinity
Posts: 78
Feedback Score: (0)
AustinLear is on a distinguished road
Default

Pets and Ponds carries the 48"-60" version but strangely no other size.
AustinLear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:30 AM   #9
infolific
OK, just 1 more plant
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Yonge and Sheppard
Posts: 543
Feedback Score: (21)
infolific will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinLear View Post
Pets and Ponds carries the 48"-60" version but strangely no other size.
They have other sizes in stock, but not on the site. Send them an email and they'll let you know what note to leave when you place an order so that you get the 3.0 version.
infolific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:39 AM   #10
infolific
OK, just 1 more plant
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Yonge and Sheppard
Posts: 543
Feedback Score: (21)
infolific will become famous soon enough
Default

I asked the Fluval folks for how their 3.0 plant lights behaves in a power outage and they said that while the light will remember the light settings, the internal timer will reset to midnight. To set the internal clock back to the right time you'd need to connect via the Bluetooth app.

Bluetooth is handy when using a mobile device, but too bad they didn't choose wifi which would've allowed for a constant connection (and remote access) since most of us have routers and such.
infolific is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.