Expanded clay pellets for biological filtration - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > General Freshwater Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

General Freshwater Discussion For all topics relating to freshwater fish to the in's and out's of maintaining a freshwater tank.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #1
Karen00
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (0)
Karen00 is on a distinguished road
Default Expanded clay pellets for biological filtration

Hey folks,

Has anyone used expanded clay pellets/pebbles in their tanks for biological filtration and if so does it work? I'm talking about the type of pellets used for soilless planting in hydroponics, etc. like this https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/odla-gr...lets-50288546/.

I couldn't find any posts on this forum but did find a few posts online where people used these and supposedly have had great success with them. They used them in their filters as well as an addition to the substrate. I read they don't break down because of the way they're baked which makes sense if they're used for hydroponics and other such soilless uses. I think the only way they might break down would be in the substrate if plant roots cause them to crack.

I'm curious as to whether this will work for both types of bacteria needed for the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates or whether the pellets just support the ammonia and nitrites (or should they be avoided).

I have a bunch of these left over from some terrestrial container plantings I did a couple years ago and would like to use them for my tank if it works.

Cheers and thanks.

Karen
Karen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
Jeepcarpenter

Feedback Score: (10)
Jeepcarpenter is on a distinguished road

They work just as good as the foam sponges, dish scrubbies, lava rock, ceramic and other pourous media.

I used them in aquaponics setups for a few years and did not notice any breakdown aside from when left in freezing conditions if not fully dried.

Auditing costs, I wound up switching to just lava rock as grow media, get mine 40lbs for $11 at HardCo in Whitby and use it in my tanks and filters alike, as well as for grow media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeepcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
infolific
OK, just 1 more plant

Feedback Score: (21)
infolific will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen00 View Post
I'm curious as to whether this will work for both types of bacteria needed for the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates or whether the pellets just support the ammonia and nitrites (or should they be avoided).
Growing the bacteria to process nitrates is more about providing an oxygen-free environment. That's a difficult thing to do in the typical aquarium filter.

The GTA Aquarium Club meets every third Tuesday of the month. Ask me for details or check out the official FB page and events listings.

infolific is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Karen00
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (0)
Karen00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepcarpenter View Post
They work just as good as the foam sponges, dish scrubbies, lava rock, ceramic and other pourous media.

I used them in aquaponics setups for a few years and did not notice any breakdown aside from when left in freezing conditions if not fully dried.

Auditing costs, I wound up switching to just lava rock as grow media, get mine 40lbs for $11 at HardCo in Whitby and use it in my tanks and filters alike, as well as for grow media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for this! I'm glad to know these work and are suitable for an aquarium. I have a lot of this leftover so think I will give it a try. I have read great things about lava rock and the cost of that is unbeatable. Thanks for letting me know where you get it. That was something I was going to look into until I remembered I had all of these leftover clay pebbles. :-)
Karen00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biological , clay pebbles , clay pellets , filtration