Brantford Show and Auction this Saturday!!!! - Page 2 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > GREATER TORONTO AREA MARKETPLACE > GTA CLUBS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Old 04-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
Bwhiskered
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (18)
Bwhiskered is a name known to all

I have a tank of fry as well as a few adults if interested?
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
bettaforu
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (49)
bettaforu has a spectacular aura about

Congratulations go to Charlie being the overall winning person of the Show.
Congrats to all who showed....lets keep these Shows alive, its fun, we win money, get to show off our little treasures etc.

Bigdaddyo....you're more than welcome to try to beat me and Catherine. I will have more beauties by fall to show
Old 04-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
Bigdaddyo

Feedback Score: (7)
Bigdaddyo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaforu View Post
Congratulations go to Charlie being the overall winning person of the Show.
Congrats to all who showed....lets keep these Shows alive, its fun, we win money, get to show off our little treasures etc.

Bigdaddyo....you're more than welcome to try to beat me and Catherine. I will have more beauties by fall to show
I'll try, one day, maybe. Do you know where I can get any of those fancy Betta's?
Bigdaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
bettaforu
Devoted Member

YES I do
Old 04-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
Altumnut
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (0)
Altumnut is just really nice

Just my opinion.....no disrespect to anyone

I think it would be a further satisfying challenge if the many entries shown where actually bred and raised by the person entering. Some entries that show are simply bought from a breeder and I don't really see any achievement in winning a class knowing no knowledge and hard work was put out.
I may be wrong but think it's the right thing to do.
Altumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #16
bettaforu
Devoted Member

Your point is well taken, however as a lot of breeders don't bother to show any of their fish for many reasons ie: too busy, don't want to stress out the fish, don't see the point as they already do good business selling them anyway, or just don't think its worth the while, it leaves a lot of other people like myself (who does breed Bettas, just not at the moment) to bring fish to the shows to boost the prize money, and the popularity of that particular fish!

Some people like myself may not have seen a particular fish, and from seeing it at a show have decided they like it so much they go out and get some. I did this after seeing a Montezuma Sword win at the Octoberfish show (Charlie's I believe) Magnificent fish!

I now own several of these myself and will be showing them in the Fall too

You see the people who DO show their fish pay an entry fee which goes into the pot for the prize money, as does the sponsorship of each class. Without this money, there would be nothing for the winners to receive back for their effort other than a certificate which also costs money to print etc.

IF you eliminate all of us who don't breed our own fish, then there will virtually be no one at all at the shows and they will stop them altogether!
They did this in the past at a great loss to those of us who want to show off their beauties, homebred or not!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #17
Altumnut
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (0)
Altumnut is just really nice

I somewhat see your point in the amount of entries per class. However, I cannot speak for eveyone but suspect if the rules of show state that only raised from fry or bred only allowed in show......it may allow the average hobbiest to bring in there fish. The feedback I gather over a number of years is "What's the use"....someone will just buy a show fish so I don't have a rat's - a** of winning let alone just show.
In the end...I'm confident that things will not change regardless and will consider this a wasted post reply.
Have a great day.
Altumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #18
eatmysox
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (7)
eatmysox is on a distinguished road

I fond that to just be an excuse by people to lazy to show. I have raised almost all my fish from fry or they are retired breeders and I do quote well at all the shows. Even my female betta that I raised myself took first in the class. I don't have a problem with people purchasing fish to show it is just nice to have people participate on the shows. We have lost so many of them in Ontario

Sent by little green men....
Old 04-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #19
bettaforu
Devoted Member

Really....we are ALL average hobbyists!

to just say " what the heck I can't win against a bought fish is defeatist attitude" right off the bat

I have had the pants beaten off me by other hobbyists, so how does that make it a waste of time to show ??? Its all about keeping the hobby alive, regardless of whether you raise the fish or just happened to buy one that you thought might be a good candidate.

Keep in mind we don't always have the same judges either, so its up to the individual judge whether they like a particular fish or not. You can never tell if your fish (in the case of Bettas) will perfom well enough for the judge to even judge it.

Case in point is my gorgeous Black/Copper HM male who slept thru the whole thing Never even bothered to flare at all, and he's done this twice now, yet as soon as its all over, he's flaring like crazy!

If you have such a low opinion of the quality of your own fish to stand up to someone who has bought one of the same species, then I could see why you wouldn't want to bring it out. However if you are proud of what you have and want to participate then by all means come on and show.

This is meant to be a fun day enjoying the company of other hobbyists who are happy to help keep these shows afloat, not just about winning.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #20
bob123
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (3)
bob123 is just really nice

I have one question for Altumnut, have you shown fish at any of the shows?
It is not just about winning it is also interesting to discuss with others about different fish and tricks of the hobby. Try it you may like it.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote