Where to buy an acrylic tank (15-20 gallon) - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Equipment Tanks, stands, heaters, filters, and all your favourite aquarium hardware in one place. Discuss.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #1
crisppy
I'm New

Feedback Score: (0)
crisppy is on a distinguished road
Question Where to buy an acrylic tank (15-20 gallon)

Hi - I am looking to upgrade my 7 yr old acrylic Eclipse 12, and am hoping to get a new 15/20 gallon long acrylic tank (24x12x12 or 30x12x12).

I would like to stick with acrylic if possible, since we have young kids and prefer the lighter weight (will probably need to move it around in the near future). We are also in an apartment and thought acrylic may be less prone to leaking/breaking than a glass tank.

Does anyone know where I can find such a tank? I live downtown and don't have a car, so I haven't been able to get to any fish stores outside the TTC area. Online searches have not turned anything up.

Thank you!
crisppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #2
wtac
Hunh?

Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future

You wont find "off the shelf" acrylic aquariums in that size in Canada as costs are higher vs glass.

There is a member that builds acrylic aquariums but I forgot his handle...something-matt-something. He's in the Newmarket area.

When I had the aquarium design/consult/management company in TO, Saline Solutions did all my custom acrylic fabrication. His shop is in the Steeles/Keele area.

416 650-0004

A 20gal in glass doesn't weigh that much and easy to pack and move. Chances of leaks are less than acrylic. Silicone seals can take more distortion from an uneven surface than solvent welded panes. IIRC, acrylic Eclipse aquariums are mold injected as a single piece and can take uneven surfaces.
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
crisppy
I'm New

Feedback Score: (0)
crisppy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtac View Post
A 20gal in glass doesn't weigh that much and easy to pack and move. Chances of leaks are less than acrylic. Silicone seals can take more distortion from an uneven surface than solvent welded panes. IIRC, acrylic Eclipse aquariums are mold injected as a single piece and can take uneven surfaces.
Thanks a lot for all the info! I haven't had any issues with larger glass tanks in the past, but with little kids in the apartment now, I was just feeling a bit nervous. I'll likely go with a regular glass 15 gallon so if there are any leaks, it won't be a total disaster. Cheers!
crisppy is offline   Reply With Quote