Compatible fish with engineer goby - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > MARINE AQUARIUMS > Fish and Coral
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Fish and Coral A forum dedicated to all your marine fish and coral needs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #1
nanoreefwanabe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Barrie
Posts: 163
Feedback Score: (2)
nanoreefwanabe is on a distinguished road
Default Compatible fish with engineer goby

I am looking to add an engineer goby to my tank, I just started 35g cube tank... hoping for a couple designer clowns, a royal gramma as flame tail or similar blenny and an engineer goby... my fear is the tank is slightly too small for the engineer, and he will become territorial toward the blenny and royal gramma...
nanoreefwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
wtac
Hunh?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere between here and there
Posts: 2,452
Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future
Default

Eng gobies need a deep sandbed with LR rubble mixed in as they like to make extensive burrows.

Like cichlids, they are territorial but just around the burrow opening and they will eat whatever will fit in their mouths.

Really not suited for systems with a footprint smaller than 4'x2' due to potential size and behavior. Largest I have seen raised in a home/commercial system is about 8" and thick as 3 fingers in a 500gal but you rarely see it out and about unless it's feeding time.
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:30 PM   #3
nanoreefwanabe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Barrie
Posts: 163
Feedback Score: (2)
nanoreefwanabe is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtac View Post
Eng gobies need a deep sandbed with LR rubble mixed in as they like to make extensive burrows.

Like cichlids, they are territorial but just around the burrow opening and they will eat whatever will fit in their mouths.

Really not suited for systems with a footprint smaller than 4'x2' due to potential size and behavior. Largest I have seen raised in a home/commercial system is about 8" and thick as 3 fingers in a 500gal but you rarely see it out and about unless it's feeding time.
I have never seen engineer goby more than the thickness of a thumb (1") and they are always 12-14", not sure we addre talking about the same fish
nanoreefwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 12-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #4
wtac
Hunh?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere between here and there
Posts: 2,452
Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future
Default

In the wild they are slender wrt length and thickness. In captivity, proportions can be off with certain species and to complicate matters, individual specimens.

Never seen a grown from 4" fresh import to typical full size in captivity. Full size eng gobies you have to dig out from the burrowed mound and usually 2-6 adults depending on the burrow size. The small ones are collected and there are TONS per mound that venture out.
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #5
nanoreefwanabe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Barrie
Posts: 163
Feedback Score: (2)
nanoreefwanabe is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtac View Post
In the wild they are slender wrt length and thickness. In captivity, proportions can be off with certain species and to complicate matters, individual specimens.

Never seen a grown from 4" fresh import to typical full size in captivity. Full size eng gobies you have to dig out from the burrowed mound and usually 2-6 adults depending on the burrow size. The small ones are collected and there are TONS per mound that venture out.
I have seen plenty of hobbyists growth them ro full size in captivity from a little 2" fish
nanoreefwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #6
wtac
Hunh?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere between here and there
Posts: 2,452
Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future
Default

The strange and wonders of nature in a confined box.

That's awesome that others you know are "doing right" by these animals.

As one that worked primarily with the ugly and seldom talked about aspects of this hobby/industry, have to give you and your fellow group of hobbiests a double thumbs up and buy a round or two of drinks.
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:31 PM   #7
Hamish
Senior Member
 
Hamish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wingham, ON, Canada
Posts: 280
Feedback Score: (1)
Hamish is on a distinguished road
Default

My Engineer Goby is 14 inches long and 2 inches around, i have Clowns in the tank and small shrimp and he doesn,t bother with them, the tank is a 125 gl 6 ft tank, a 35 gl is too small. Mine rearrainges the sand bed and digs big time.
__________________
125, 6ft Dual Overflow, 55 Sump, Swc 150, Jebao 5000, 2x Heaters, 2x Gfo Rx, 2x QP900, Led, T5Ho,

160 lbs Rock, 3 inches Argonite, Big Fuge with Cheato and Rock,

Frogspawn, Torch, Grn and Blk Flor, Brain, Leathers, Cabbage Coral, Crotea Clam, Zoas, Mushrooms, Gsp,

Foxface, Purple Tang, Leapard Wrasse, Engineer Goby, 2x B&W Clowns, 10 Turbos, 10 Nazz. Emerald Crab, Blood Shrimp, 2x Pepperments,
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 04:38 PM   #8
nanoreefwanabe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Barrie
Posts: 163
Feedback Score: (2)
nanoreefwanabe is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
My Engineer Goby is 14 inches long and 2 inches around, i have Clowns in the tank and small shrimp and he doesn,t bother with them, the tank is a 125 gl 6 ft tank, a 35 gl is too small. Mine rearrainges the sand bed and digs big time.
Thank you...2" diameter or around?
2" around is like a thumb.

Either way looks like I will be avoiding him...
nanoreefwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.