Not open for further replies.

Any Oddball Club?

4K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  Ciddian 
#1 ·
Any oddball club out there???

Just wondering!

;)

#13 ·
Some people just like to get other people upset. There are a lot of ways to do this -- one is to purposely misunderstand what the other guy has said and continue to do so no matter what effort the other person puts into explaining. This drives some people wild with frustration, and the jerk who does it laughs and gets a thrill out of it.

One of the people in this thread was recently banned from another board for this kind of behaviour. Note how this thread has been hijacked away from the original topic into a nasty game for one of the posters.

Don't give people like this their ugly way. Just ignore them, and ideally, since they aren't having the fun of getting people upset, they'll give up and go away. They can spoil the whole tone of a board, and people will stop posting and drift away.

This board has a good reputation as a place where people are civil and helpful and friendly. This guy just likes to piss in the well. Fortunately, people like this are warned, and banned here, because the moderators are concerned about keeping the discussions civil and helpful and friendly.

Bigfishy, yes, he is trying to get you to argue with him. Don't. Ignore him. He thinks he can jerk you around for his own sick enjoyment. Don't give him the satisfaction.

#15 · (Edited)
All we are looking for is some clarification on the use of "Any oddball clubs?" I think bigfishy was the first to show he was upset and I just reminded him he feels victimized every time. He does not need to especially from me because I am here to help him. We also have a thread on "Canadian Literacy Level" and it is in the interest of advancing what others found needed improvement I am being constructively self critical of wrongly assuming I understand what is being asked when it appear to suggest something else. So where is the provocation. I even used bigfishy's quote's so as to maintain the accuracy of his dilemma.

#18 ·
wow. This is the first time I actually looked in this thread. Even before reading it, from his title, I took it he was looking for ppl that kept oddball FISH. I would have thought it was a given...since this is a fish forum.... if he was looking for something other than oddball fish, then he would have had to quantify.

G
#20 ·
This is a clear example of an ambiguity leading to misunderstanding. As so often is the case on internet forums; even if the question's meaning is clear to the one posing it, phrasing it in such ambiguous wording can lead to the exchange that has transpired here.

One shouldn't assume that another will know what you mean, even when the forum is broadly based on a particular interest.

If I were an outsider with only a slight interest in fish, to see the question, even knowing that the website was based on aquariums and fish might not know what an "oddball" is and seem it quite strange for someone to ask about a club for oddballs. Don't assume that people on a fish forum know all of the terminology or acronyms. Be clear!

..... and then there are those that like to nitpick ;)

#21 ·
This is a clear example of an ambiguity leading to misunderstanding. As so often is the case on internet forums; even if the question's meaning is clear to the one posing it, phrasing it in such ambiguous wording can lead to the exchange that has transpired here.

One shouldn't assume that another will know what you mean, even when the forum is broadly based on a particular interest.

If I were an outsider with only a slight interest in fish, to see the question, even knowing that the website was based on aquariums and fish might not know what an "oddball" is and seem it quite strange for someone to ask about a club for oddballs. Don't assume that people on a fish forum know all of the terminology or acronyms. Be clear!

..... and then there are those that like to nitpick ;)
So how does a new comer like me deal with such members? Those that are ambiguous and the nitpickers. I would like to meet the normal members.

#37 ·
Yes, on PN blackninja spent all his time trolling the boards and fabricating his bizarre stories, picking on posters and denouncing science. Currently he's enjoying his third suspension on those boards and from my own experiences, I just hope none of you are in the sciences. lol I have a feeling that he practiced a little thread necromancy just to start an argument. He could have trolled any thread asking if tangs were fish from Tanganyika, the metal protrusion that forms the handle of a tool or a tasty beverage. I think he's picking on bigfishy just to antagonize. :rolleyes:

#38 ·
OKay had your fill then?... This thread is closed.

No more of this crap on the site okay? :) We are all grown ups, or at least I figured but who knows when one sits down in front of their comp and has nothing better to do.

Anyone.. please feel free to PM any of the mods if this stuff comes up again. Be nice to each other, no highschool Bs ya? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.