Discus: Adults and Juveniles - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Cichlids > Discus
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Discus A forum dedicated to the king of the freshwater tank.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
Dis
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (7)
Dis is on a distinguished road
Default Discus: Adults and Juveniles

hi,

I recently picked up 4 juveniles that are about 3 inches wide, if I add 2 adult discus will they out compete the juveniles for food?

I want to make sure that they are able to grow well, and also maybe get a pair from the group once matured.
Dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
1nvad3r
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (5)
1nvad3r can only hope to improve

hey i have done this in the pass and it will out compete your smaller fish no matter what. I suggest if you want more Discus is to get the same size and same source to avoid problems later on. getting the same size/age will help them get even growth rate. I just watch for the Hog that will bully others during feeding time. If you still want to add the bigger fish just spread out the food so the other little guys can eat as well.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forum.php this forum site really helped me keep Discus successfully for 3yrs now and I"m getting in to breeding Discus soon

HTH GL
1nvad3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
Dis
Devoted Member

Dis is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply, I posted on here cause simplydiscus was taking over a week to validate my account. lol

I ended up passing on the adults, someone in hamilton was almost giving them away so I was very tempted. Opted to make sure my group would get fed properly. I picked up two more from the same source yesterday and now I have 6 that all are the same size.

Goodluck breeding, do you have a nice pair that have started to lay eggs? I just breed my angels and now I cant wait for these guys to grow up to do the same.

Cheers
Dis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2011, 03:33 AM   #4
1nvad3r
Up-and-comer

I have a few pairs actually laying eggs on the different areas of my tank. I have two good pairs and one odd pair which are two females laying eggs at the same spot. Wish they could breed like angels with the water i got : ( I got no money or time to condition the water for breeding.

Last edited by 1nvad3r; 05-31-2011 at 03:35 AM..
Old 06-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #5
Brian
Devoted Member

Brian is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Brian

Are the two good pairs successfully spawning and raising fry?

GO LEAFS GO! I BELEAF!
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:52 AM   #6
1nvad3r
Up-and-comer

What i meant from the Good pair was suspected Male & Female and i sometimes see them make their rounds after W/C. I think my water is too hard for the eggs to hatch and my flow in my 90g abit to fast for good fertilization of the eggs. Are you breeding Discus by ay chance ?
Old 06-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
Brian
Devoted Member

Brian is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Brian

Not at this moment.

Your tap water should be fine if you have patience with them. Give them a bit longer to do their thing, at first you won't have too many eggs that hatch but over time, you should start seeing a higher yield.

When you start seeing consistent egg laying/spawning, you should then decide whether or not you would like to move them to their own 20gal. From there, your success should start increasing.

What people fail to realize is that animals are hardier than we give them credit for. I had my discus breeding in Toronto tap water just fine and nothing special was done in terms of water quality.

Just keep them fed, keep their water clean and they'll reward you with offspring sooner or later.

GO LEAFS GO! I BELEAF!
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:22 AM   #8
1nvad3r
Up-and-comer

Hey thanks for the heads up , I feel confident now lol i will try to move 1 pair in their own tank to see if any magic happens : ). I ve been seeing more that 75-100 eggs when i find them. will give it a shot

thanks