White string algae help - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > Breeders > Salt Water
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Old 09-11-2020, 08:27 PM   #1
downtownReefer
I'm New

Feedback Score: (0)
downtownReefer is on a distinguished road
Default White string algae help

Hi,
been fighting this for about a 2 months now and i'm in need of help on how to eliminate this problem. I been having this string like web growing from my rocks and seeing slime on my nylon socks filter. I've been doing 20% changes almost every 10 days, adding macrobaria 7 and i can't seem to kill this algae.
i also use RODI water only. (RODI - filter has been replaced in the last month).

my tank is about 8 months old
- po4 is at 0.25mg/L
-No3 - is not detected
-amonia - 0

salinity - checked and its all good there.

what am i missing?
Please help -
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image1.jpeg (99.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg image2.jpeg (94.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg image3.jpeg (87.8 KB, 5 views)
downtownReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2020, 09:10 PM   #2
wtac
Hunh?

Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future

Stop dosing MicroBacter for now.

Tough to say but the clogging of filter socks with "slime" is definitely bacterial.

Algae is normal. Control where it doesn't become a problem is key. Whether CUC, more coral to shade the LR, herbervorious fish that graze on LR...all are key in controlling algae.
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #3
downtownReefer
I'm New

Feedback Score: (0)
downtownReefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtac View Post
Stop dosing MicroBacter for now.

Tough to say but the clogging of filter socks with "slime" is definitely bacterial.

Algae is normal. Control where it doesn't become a problem is key. Whether CUC, more coral to shade the LR, herbervorious fish that graze on LR...all are key in controlling algae.
this is my second tank and i started with dry rock this time, i'm just hoping that the dry rock is not the cause of this imbalance. I'll be patient i guess but if this doesn't go away and start to clog my pipes then i'll try to use no-pox. I'll give it another two-three weeks.. hopefully i get some improvements. also, going to stop doing water changes to get some nitrate reading.
downtownReefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
wtac
Hunh?

Feedback Score: (5)
wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future wtac has a brilliant future

Biofilms wont clog flow in pipes but will in narrow tubing with low flow rates and woven material.

If you havent started stocking with coral, keep in mind, not only is it still a relatively new system, algae will grow on any surface that light directly hits. So adding corals to shade the rock below will help keep algae from taking a foothold.

Until then, keep the photoperiod short...4-6hrs excluding dusk/dawn timings.

HTH
wtac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae , bacteria , white string algae