GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Help! U-Bends and Tubing Adapters

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  someguy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I need some help with this DIY filter system i setup..

My intakes/outakes from my tank are all 12MM hose but my pump and canister filter are all 16MM...
1) Do you guys know a good store with some adapters for aquarium tubing?

Second, my intake hose is the ISTA Skimmer and i need some type of U-Bend tubing to bring the water up, around the tank lid, and straight down again.
Here is the item: https://www.amazon.com/ISTA-Aquarium-Surface-Skimmer-Filter/dp/B015FH3V6W

2) Do you guys know where i can get a U-Bend aquarium tube (12MM diam im sure)

#2 ·
If on a time crunch to set it up, BA sells the Eheim "J" tubes...wont be cheap.

In the irrigation section of HD/Lowes, you can get 1/2" 90* elbowfittings for a few $each. Hard turns and not radius curve. In the intake of the canister filter, you wont notice the frictional flow loss.

The fittings @Lowes have large barbs so it'll grab and a PITA to remove the hose. The ones from HD are easier to slip on/off and use ring clamps to secure the hose.

HTH

#4 ·
Heat up the end so its very supple so that it "forms" better around the fitting. As it cools it'll shrink down a bit and hold very well if you get at least 3/4" of the fitting in the tubing.

A dab of crazy glue will make it permanent or just get new tubing altogether.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.