GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Second round with the Melons

8K views 78 replies 10 participants last post by  SandeepD 
#1 · (Edited)
Amateur Leopards

The pair laid eggs again on Friday - late evening, when I left the home on Friday for a weekend away from home, they were preparing the area.

The photos are from Sunday evening. keeping my fingers crossed, last time no one was home. Now with all the disturbances, I don't want to count my chickens(fry) till the eggs have hatched (actually till the fry is free swimming).

the only reason I got away using a coffee mug was becoz by the time my wife saw that, the Discus had already laid the eggs and she kind of got interested in the away the parents look after the fry :) ..hehehe.

Q - there must be an issue with my temp (81F - my tanks are in the basement) as the eggs are taking like 60 + hrs for hatching

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
so no luck on that one..the whole thing got wiped out, having trouble with the water quality, lost a whole clutch with the leopards too. The fish seems to be breeding every week, between the 2 pairs and the fry...going a little nuts with the water changes and all...

#7 ·
Amateur Leopards

Just look at these pics, they just laid eggs...really don't know what the pair was thinking, this is the most erratic but all sessions are somewhat similar. Can't blame the male for not getting it right as the fertilization rate is very poor

the pair is quite big, although they might have been together just for the few last weeks. They do turn a beautiful black every time they are going to lay eggs, just wish a good number of fry will hatch.

I also need to get a decent breeding cone, anyone know where I can find a breeding cone, never saw one at BA.

Attachments

#12 ·
Peter / Loonie..thanks. I will keep that in mind, now I'm a little afraid to take Peter suggestion as obviously his capabilities as a handy man is way higher than what I can do.

The one that I have is from the dollar store (not the tea cup ) which I don't really like. So let me try sugar glider or another from the dollar store before I attempt to glue anything to the tank.

Definitely will have to take some lessons in DIY.

#14 ·
Sandeep, re pipes, you do not glue to the tank. You can glue it to a flower pot, something that can hold the pipe firm in the tank. You can remove it anytime when not using. I use flower pot base plates( 4 to 6ins) to glue the pipes onto, which you can buy from home depot or walmart for dollar plus.

#15 · (Edited)
Hi before I got breeding slates for my angels... I used the tall clay pots that you can buy at walmart for like $1.50 or even the plant department at Loblaws sometimes sells them. Basically you can get them anywhere...even Home Depot. Even the dollar store has the clay pots but they are slightly shorter than the ones I got at Loblaws. I just bought two and stacked them lip to lip. They were heavy enough that I never had to glue them or worry about the stability. Actually I have a bunch lying around because I dont need them anymore. You can come get them for free if it's convenient for you. I'm at bathurst and steeles. Goodluck. I can post a pic if you need.

Laura

#17 ·
Yes I agree with Sunny, its all about marketing to make money. Often they cross breed and come out with different colours. What we find in our stores, you might not find it in the wild. I am wondering has anyone breed the Hakel discus, the one with the black bar in the center. Often these are wild caught.

#18 ·
Loonie / Laura, thanks for the suggestions. Loonie, if I don't get the size that I'm looking for, your idea will definately be used.

I generally go to home depot for the clay pot, but i generally find them to be quite small. I will have to check out Walmart.

#20 ·
HI Peter, nice pics...thats the kind of height I'm looking for, the flower pots that I have a like a few inches, Not sure if it will make a difference, just want to try different things.

I don't want to let they breed on the glass as I don't generally clean the glass. I will let you know how things go..

some of the eggs are fertilizing, lets see how it goes this time.

#21 ·
Updated photos..

So I lost the entire clutch with the leopards...again !!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused::confused:

Its just killing me, all the water changes and the 2 pairs breeding in different weeks, I seriously need to get some routine, don't even want to look at my water bill. I was hoping to use snow water this winter but just my luck, no snow on the ground !!

#22 ·
Update with the Melons

so the melons bred again, after the last 100% failure, I had used a good 80 - 85% RO water in the tank, stopped feeding any processed food (tetra bits etc) as it does spoil the water, so finally some success.

Still anticipating trouble, the parents are fighting with each other. It has reduced with the hatching of the eggs but still some issue. So keeping my fingers crossed.

Peter, my mind says to listen to your suggestion / advice but don't have the heart to separate the parents..won't be the same fun watching the changeover etc. I'm keeping a close watch, close the lights early etc. Thanks, really appreciate it.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.