Feeding Before going away - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Beginner's Circle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Beginner's Circle This forum is dedicated to helping people new to the hobby. If you need help, this is your starting point.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
Da Mounty

Feedback Score: (0)
Da Mounty is on a distinguished road
Default Feeding Before going away

Hi, I am heading out of town for the weekend ans I am wondering if should give the fish a larger feeding prior to me leaving or feed as normal? I'll be gone for a total of 4 days.

Thanks in advance,
...DaM
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #2
Mikeylikes

Feedback Score: (24)
Mikeylikes is just really nice

I wouldn't suggest a larger feeding. Uneaten food will only foul your tank.

4 days isn't necessarily a long time but if you could find someone to baby sit and feed them for you that would be ideal. Or use an auto feeder - you don't mention what type of food nor fish you are feeding so I assume dry food and not live food.
Mikeylikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Da Mounty

Da Mounty is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I have a 55g planted tank with 8 Cardinals, 6 tiger barbs, 5 odessa barbs, 5 zebra danios and 6 rummynose. For feeding I alternate between flake and freeze dried tubifex worms.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
infolific
OK, just 1 more plant

Feedback Score: (21)
infolific will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't feed an extra large amount since eating too much in one sitting isn't good. But I'd consider another round of feeding. For example, if you normally feed in the evening, given them some food the morning of your departure.

I actually would avoid a babysitter unless they're experienced. People new to fish can want to "be nice" or "help the fish" by feeding them extra and that would be bad.

I wouldn't bother with an auto-feeder just for 4 days. If they're well-fed and healthy, 4 days without food isn't a big deal.
infolific is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
Mikeylikes

Feedback Score: (24)
Mikeylikes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by infolific View Post

I actually would avoid a babysitter unless they're experienced. People new to fish can want to "be nice" or "help the fish" by feeding them extra and that would be bad.

thats a good point. I would pre-measure and just tell them to throw it in. No MORE no LESS.
Mikeylikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:45 PM   #6
Salinger
Up-and-comer

Salinger is on a distinguished road

This brings up a point I read in the book "A Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums" that gave me pause for thought. Like infolific said, they say generally having someone unfamiliar with fish feed them is a bad idea, but, they said leaving them for a week unfed while you're on vacation, and in some cases up to two weeks is okay. Is that true? Can you really leave fish for a week or more unfed and they'll be fine? I'm still learning, but that seems quite a long time for any living thing to go without food.
Salinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:52 PM   #7
tom g
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (80)
tom g has much to be proud of tom g has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to tom g
Default feeding

i would feed as normal not more , u are not gone for a long time ..
another suggestion I have done is when I have someone watch my tank .you know the pill cases u get at shoppers with the dates on them s/ m/t/w/t/f/s
I fill just the amount of food in each section take away your food so your friends don't feed more , ...

hippo tang , yellow tang, 1 damsel ,flame hawk (favorite ),watchman goby ,harlequin star fish (hides boring ) bi -color blenny,cleaner wrasse , bengai cardinal,twin spot goby, mandarin .
sand sifting star fish ,
elusive marine betta(MIA - shows him self periodically -boring )

in progress TBA.....project tranquility ............

90 gallon dual drilled tank with sump
vertex 100-in
2 - evergrow leds ,dual t5 48" aquatic life fixture
tom g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:01 PM   #8
infolific
OK, just 1 more plant

Feedback Score: (21)
infolific will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salinger View Post
Can you really leave fish for a week or more unfed and they'll be fine? I'm still learning, but that seems quite a long time for any living thing to go without food.
One thing you see when you have a sick fish that has stopped eating is just how long they can go without food. A healthy fish will do even better.

I break out the auto-feeders when I'll be away for more than a week.
infolific is online now   Reply With Quote