Fish Poop Colour - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Beginner's Circle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Beginner's Circle This forum is dedicated to helping people new to the hobby. If you need help, this is your starting point.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
Ding
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (1)
Ding is on a distinguished road
Default Fish Poop Colour

I had guppies for a couple of years, and their poop was always black. I bought Mollies a couple of months ago, and the first day or so they were pooping pink, looked like their intestines were coming out, and then they started pooping black as well. I'm guessing it's because of the flake food I feed them, which is the same as the flake food I was giving the guppies. Now the other day one of them pooped white. What colour should their poop be? And what caused white poop?
Ding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2016, 04:14 PM   #2
Dis
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (7)
Dis is on a distinguished road

Usually it seems to be from pink to black. White in discus is bad but not sure about guppies
Dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
infolific
OK, just 1 more plant

Feedback Score: (21)
infolific will become famous soon enough

Constant white/clear is considered a bad sign for angels too. I've had to deal with that recently.
infolific is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2016, 09:14 PM   #4
Ding
Up-and-comer

It was a molly that pooped white. Just curious if maybe they were being fed better at the store (brine shrimp or something) instead of the flake food that they're now getting. I think the white poop might be because somebody's been snacking on my Lobelia Cardinalis.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #5
Fishfur
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (70)
Fishfur is a glorious beacon of light

Poop colour is virtually always food related, unless the fish is sick. Usually if they have some type of internal parasite, it will have some effect on the poop.

Parasites are associated with poop that's turned whitish, full of mucus or stringy looking. New fish are stressed fish, it's unavoidable, and virtually all all fish have some type of parasite. Their immune system can handle many parasites, but if the immune system is overwhelmed, but we only find out if visible symptoms appear.

I feed fry with Microworms and their poop is very light coloured because the worms are, but it is also very solid. Other foods change the colour accordingly. If the fish eats plants, poop is not likely to be pale coloured, it's more likely to be relatively dark, thanks to the pigments in plants.

If white poop continues, may be worth treating for internal parasites.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:56 PM   #6
Ding
Up-and-comer

Thanks for your detailed answer.