My Guide to a Cheap, Beautiful Planted Tank - Page 3 - GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.
GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area.

Go Back   GTA Aquaria Forum - Aquarium Fish & Plants serving the Greater Toronto Area. > FRESHWATER > Beginner's Circle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Advertise Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise

Beginner's Circle This forum is dedicated to helping people new to the hobby. If you need help, this is your starting point.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #21
cichlid_mainiac
Up-and-comer

Feedback Score: (0)
cichlid_mainiac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrrolin View Post
plants actually use ammonia
Learn something new everyday! I guess it couldn't hurt to add some plants immediately perhaps 2 or 3. Now I just have to find some hardy and easy to care for plants.
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #22
solarz
Devoted Member

Feedback Score: (59)
solarz is a splendid one to behold solarz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlid_mainiac View Post
Thanks solarz for your input!

So from reading some of your later posts about certain plants reducing PH, it would be best if I avoid such plants for my 55 gallon as the fish I keep are accustom to the current PH and if the PH were to drop it would make it far more difficult to add more fish in the future which is what I would like to do.
Plants do not reduce pH. I was talking about ways to reduce pH with substrates.
solarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #23
cichlid_mainiac
Up-and-comer

cichlid_mainiac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarz View Post
I've never kept cichlids, so I can't tell you from experience. However, I've seen cichlid tanks with anubias in Big Al's. Unfortunately, anubias don't grow very fast, so you will experience minimal benefit related to water quality.

I can think of some plants that *might* be hardy enough for cichlids: hornwort, vallisneria, java moss, crypts. Hornwort and vals grow quickly, java moss and crypts grow more slowly. You can also experiment with java ferns, though I haven't kept them myself.

You will only get gas pockets if you use a highly organic soil. If you use mineralized top soil, you will not get any gas pockets.

Uprooting plants in dirted tanks is an issue, and I have experienced that first-hand. However, it can be minimized by keeping the soil to sand ratio low. In my current 20-gal, I put in only 1/2" of MTS vs 3-4" of fine sand. I have not experienced any muddiness from uprooting staurogyne repens or water wisteria.
So I picked up a crypt lingua, java fern and hyprophila for starters and we will see how that goes I will keep everyone updated on there growth if any lol.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #24
IMCL85

IMCL85 is on a distinguished road

I'm alway curious, how do u remove fish poo from a planted tank? I used to keep a planted tank but eventually I find the substrate is over run by fish poo, and theres no way for me to vacuum due to plants gets in my way. my past experience with substrate bottom is not a very pleasant one.
IMCL85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #25
solarz
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMCL85 View Post
I'm alway curious, how do u remove fish poo from a planted tank? I used to keep a planted tank but eventually I find the substrate is over run by fish poo, and theres no way for me to vacuum due to plants gets in my way. my past experience with substrate bottom is not a very pleasant one.
Simply put, you don't.

If you use gravel, fish waste will eventually break down and fall to the bottom of the substrate as a sludge.

If you use sand, then you need malaysian trumpet snails. They will turn over your sand and ensure that large particles fall to the bottom.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #26
solarz
Devoted Member

Updated the guide to add two sections about algae and beginner plants.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #27
KeyLime

Feedback Score: (4)
KeyLime is on a distinguished road

Suggestion for quick cycling: Tetra Safe Start. It's amazing. Almost instant. Most other don't even work.
You can do just as recommended.
Add it to the filter and add some fish. Done.
KeyLime is offline   Reply With Quote