GTA Aquarium Forums banner

Amano shrimp have disappeared?

9K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  uslanja 
#1 ·
I have a small 7 gallon starfire cube shrimp tank. It houses 18 Red Cherries, 2 Nerite snails and three days ago, I added 2 Amano shrimp. No fish in the tank, only invertebrates.

I use Flourite for substrate, it's heavily planted, water parameters are awesome.

The Amanos have been MIA for 48 hours. There isn't a great amount of tank space for them to hide in... I've tried shining a small flashlight after dark, nothing. I've searched all of the hiding places I can see into, nothing. They don't come out when I drop food in for the Cherry shrimp.

One of my Nerites has also been dormant for a few weeks. He's suctioned to a rock in my tank, which makes me think he's alive, but does not move.

Do Amano shrimp burrow in substrate? I'm at a loss.

#2 ·
Do you have a lid on top of your tank? I've had ghost shrimp jump out of my tank before and it has a canopy with only a small gap for the filter.

Speaking of filters, have you checked inside yours? Do you have a prefilter sponge on the intake of your filter?

#3 ·
The only time I ever bought an Amano shrimp for one of my tanks I couldn't find him for several days until I looked under my desk which is 10 feet away. He must have crawled out of the covered tank, across the floor and dried up.

I suggest you look around on the floor for yours.
--
Paul

#7 ·
yup check your floors. I moved 6 amanos into my 110 and 3 of them decided to take a hike. 2 were near the tank but the third was halfway into my kitchen 8 feet away. I told the three I have left not to worry, the others just went out for cigarettes :p

#8 ·
not only can they jump, they are great climbers as well. I was drop acclimatising 400 of them in a styrofoam shipping box that was around 4-5" higher than the water level and it wasn't long until i found a bunch of walking on my floor - they kept climbing on top of each other to made a shrimp ladder!

#11 ·
Bummer. Sorry about your loss. I wonder where it thought it was going? Keeping a tight fitting cover cuts down on lighting and makes feeding and/or working in the tank more of a chore. I enjoy open tops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.